This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Almost there...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Almost there...

Postby KYMike » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:01 pm

Well, the carb rebuild went good. Installed it, no leaks and big red started right up. Much stronger now but I have the same problem that I had in the beginning...the choke seems to be acting as the throttle. The idle adjustment has no affect nor does the speed control. Just using the choke does make it hum just fine but push it all the way back in and it will peter out.

Not real sure if the govener is working right, either. Does this sound like a timing issue? She starts great but I'm not sure where to start fault isolating the controls.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Mike-
'53 Cub - You can make a small fortune in farming, provided you start with a large one.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:09 pm

Double check the main jet Mike. Then check for air leaks. 8)

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:11 pm

What am I looking for when I check the main jet? Air leaks?
'53 Cub - You can make a small fortune in farming, provided you start with a large one.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:37 pm

Assuming you have an IH carb. Take the main jet out and make sure the little hole in the end is free of dirt. Also check to make sure there isn't any dirt between the hole in the end and the bigger holes on the side.

To check for air leaks spray some WD40 around the carb/manifold joint with the tractor running if it speeds up you have a leak. Also spray around the throttle body/bowl joint on the carb. 8)

Marion(57 Loboy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1957 International Cub Loboy; C-3 finish mower; L-54 blade; L-F194 plow incl coulter and jointer;L-38 disk harrow. Leinbach FH back blade.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Marion(57 Loboy) » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:17 pm

This is copied from an earlier post with similar symptoms. This is what the guy did that got mine running tip top again after a carb R&R.

"OK, Try this:

With the engine OFF, disconnect the throttle linkage at the governor arm. Set the throttle lever to FULL THROTTLE. Set the throttle plate to full open on the carburetor. with the linkage attached to the throttle plate shaft lever, the other end should line up with the hole on the governor arm without having to move anything. Extend or shorten the linkage as needed to align these two parts. Install the shoulder pin and cotter pin....BINGO !! A working governor again!! It is my understanding this is to be done anytime the carb is taken off/swapped what-have-you, as it may not go back in exactly the same spot and the linkage adjustment is very important for proper operation. If you don't have the right linkage I suggest getting one from any of the several sources available. It is supposed to have a yoke on one end(where it attaches to the governor lever) and is threaded for precise adjustment. GOOD LUCK !! "

Hope you get her running soon- keep at it.

Marion

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Difficult running

Postby Patbretagne » Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:55 am

My Allis had this sort of problem, and yes air is the very devil if it gets in where it's not needed, I resurfaced cerb joint surfaces (cast iron carb) very carefully with a fine file, made up a new gasket AND fiddled about with the petrol level in the carb, not too high (leaks and over-rich running) not too low (weak mixture)
There is a post talking about fuel levels in the carb I saw a couple of days ago.
Hope you get there in the end

Air today, gone tomorrow. (Allez rigolez) (Go on now Laugh)
Patrick

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Thu Apr 07, 2005 6:56 am

Anyone know the part number for the clamp at the end of the starting shutter shaft (that the choke rod attaches to)? I found it had been cracked and patched with what looks like JD Weld but is now slipping on the shaft. I could not locate it in the parts manual.

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:43 am

The part # is 351324R1, they are very hard to find.I do not think you can get them from a dealer.The dealer told me if he could find one it was $60.00 Cdn.Some one on the forum is making them.I made one for myself. Out of alum flat stock,I also found one off a bike odometer,it looked something like the one George Willer made. 8) :) Bruce
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:48 pm

Well, things started out poorly, then got worse from there. :cry:

Big Red still runs by choke alone and the crack in the starting shutter shaft bracket opened-up again (Used Magnum Steel epoxy). Looks like I'll have to fabricate that thing but I don't quite understand the relationship between the throttle shaft (via the govener) and the starting shutter. What would be the normal position of both at start-up and after the engine is warmed up? And what about the adjustment screws on both? Tried all the way in then out 1-1/2 turns but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I finially got my plow and drawbar but no working tractor...

Thanks-

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:35 pm

KYMike: I purchased a choke lever from Kodiak last week. I don't have it on a carb yet but it appears to be very well made and I expect that it will give satisfactory service. Also, the price is right. You may wish to contact him as I believe that he has others for sale. Dan

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:15 pm

I bought one from My local case IH dealer last fall. It was $43.00 and a 2 day wait.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:50 pm

Does that bracket (see above pic) come with the choke shaft?

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:29 pm

No the shaft will be seperate. 8)

Kodiak
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 30543
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Kodiak » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:35 pm

Mike,
I still have about 4 of those levers. I listed them on the For sale forum @ $15 ea. shipping and all just let me know if you need one.

Thanks
Kodiak
I bought an old tractor all dusty and worn,
knew nothing about her just the year she was born
I washed her and greased her and painted her red
Now she lives happily right here in my shed.

HOME of THE STONETHROW CUBFEST
2007 Cub Tug Champion

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:51 pm

I need this clamp at the end of the carb starting shutter shaft that the choke lever attaches to. Are we talking about the same thing? If so I'll take two!

Return to “Farmall Cub”