This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

French Cubs

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

French Cubs

Postby Patbretagne » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:02 am

Yeah it's me again, from Bretagne, chilly but still sunny!
Interest? I attach a couple of photos, one of our n°2 this morning and another of the side of the block above carb.
For us English it says "Firing Order" for the French it says "Allumage"!
The tricky thing is though, both N°1 and N° 2 cubs are built in France, it even says so on the plate, one has Firing......the other N°2 has Allumage.

I see several of you have French built Cubs, how's it written over there?

Another question, (I did warn you) French numbering of tractors, did it run in the same series? I've n°1 708906 and n°2 706575 as tractor numbers.

All ideas are welcome in this shed, thanks Patrick

Well I would attach a couple of photos but cannot work out how, any help again?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Apr 05, 2005 6:53 am

Patrick, your photos must be on the internet in order for you to link to them. Then, just place the address of the photo between the image tages.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

yaume
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby yaume » Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:40 am

voiçi un lien qui parle (un peu) des N° de série des cub français.
Les tiens sont à priori des FFCUB (comme le mien)
http://www.chez.com/tractoretro/cima.htm
what makes my cub very rare is that it's the only one I've ever owned.

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:17 am

Patrick,
I own a few of the French Cubs and French Super Cubs. (I have owned 6 different ones over the years.)
The first French Cubs look just like the American Cubs (American Seat) and are built with IH casting but the electrical etc... is French made. Paris-Rhone electrical and Solex carburators.
These say "Firing Order" on the block. After the plant at St. Dizier was up and running they cast their own parts and these read "Allumage" on the block.
The French Cub serial numbers start at 700001. I own French Cub (American Seat) serial number 700812. After a few thousand Cubs were assembeled with the American seat they started putting the French style seat on them. These tractors still had the American castings until at least serial number 711071. They then built about 8,000 of the French Cubs with French Castings before they went to the French Super Cub.
The French Super Cub Serial numbers started at 720000.
The French Cub was only built for 2 years, 1955 and 1956.

The French Super Cub was built from 1957 until 1964.

I hope tis gives you some information.

Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:24 am

yaume,
I see the link you posted is to a website of Etienne Gentil.
I am a friend of Etienne's. Etienne works for Case-IH in Europe.
We have gotten together at the Farm show in Paris and at swap meets in Germany. I have also sent him parts.
Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Patbretagne
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

French Cubs

Postby Patbretagne » Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:14 pm

Thanks very much all of you who have replied to my queries, most helpful, wisdom is wonderful, thanks for it. Patrick

l5foye
10+ Years
10+ Years

Numbers

Postby l5foye » Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:03 pm

Mike- I was interested in the nos you quoted. I have a French Cub and the no of it is 72175. Should there be another digit somewhere?

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:55 pm

I5foye,
The serial number on your Cub is short one number. You can make sure of the correct serial number on French built Cubs because they stamped the serial number on the tool mounting area on the torque tube. This is located just below the starter and towards the back of the tractor.
They stamped it between the two mounting holes.
You actually own a French Super Cub, the serial number on the plate and on the torque tube should read FFSCUB 721 75x.

Mike

Return to “Farmall Cub”