This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Motor Rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
electromech31
10+ Years
10+ Years

Motor Rebuild

Postby electromech31 » Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:56 pm

Well my 47 cub is in pieces. Looks like a overbore, bearings, clutch, valve job. Has anybody rebored the cylinders themself I have the equipment, also the valves job?

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:13 pm

Check this out for the valves from one of our experts. http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Mainte ... Valves.htm . I lapped the valves using this method with excellent results. Only had to hone the cylinders to remove glaze and replaced rings. Didn't have to bore oversize. So others will probably jump in.
Ron

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Motor Rebuild

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:38 pm

If you have a technical college, teaching automotive technology, in your area you could hire one of the students to rebore the block.

The college students in this area do good work at a very reasonable price.

Just a though.

Eugene

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Parts for engine rebuild

Postby Eugene » Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:47 pm

Try your local auto parts store for engine rebuild kits. In reference to my previous post. The college students get a discount on parts. Perhaps you could have one of the students rebuild the engine for a little more than you would pay for the parts alone.

One of the neighbors has her vehicles repaired at the college. It usually takes quite some time to get the work done. But, the only expense is the parts.

Eugene

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Re: Parts for engine rebuild

Postby George Willer » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:26 am

Eugene wrote:Try your local auto parts store for engine rebuild kits. In reference to my previous post. The college students get a discount on parts. Perhaps you could have one of the students rebuild the engine for a little more than you would pay for the parts alone.

One of the neighbors has her vehicles repaired at the college. It usually takes quite some time to get the work done. But, the only expense is the parts.

Eugene

Eugene,

The outcome would depend a great deal on the individual school involved.

I bought my first Cub years ago from the second frustrated owner after a vocational school had been completely through it. I had to go completely through it again to erase all their tracks. It would have been much easier and less expensive if they had never touched it. Of course, if they hadn't touched it it would have been running better and I would have had to pay more.

I have a few horror stories to tell about what I found.

I really doubt the students learned anything usefull! :( :( :(

I learned a great deal about Cubs and vocational schools from the experience. :D :D :D
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:56 am

I have had some experience with vocational-technical high schools, as an adult night student. In talking with the instructors and some day students, I am left with the impression that these schools, at least in our area, are little more that large adolescent day care centers with very large, very expensive toys.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:47 am

When I was in college, one of my friends bought a Jeep with a bad engine. He located an engine from a Jeepster that had been overhauled by a local vo-tech school (I believe a post-high school school). I was on and off involved with the engine installation as it progressed. The front engine mounts differed between the Jeep and Jeepster, so we had to pull the front apart to change the front plate. After the engine was installed it locked up, wouldn't turn at all. He couldn't find anything wrong, so it was pulled out again. Engine turned fine once removed. This was repeated a few times before it was discovered the Jeepster flywheel was 1" larger than the original (clutch parts were all identical!!). Just as the engine tightened against the bell housing, the flywheel did as well. Changing the flywheel took care of that problem. These problems were all due to Jeep/Jeepster differences. What came next was another situation.

He finally got the engine all hooked up and started it. --- No oil pressure. After doing all external diagnosis, he pulled the engine pan. Willys used a Float-o oil pickup. Evidently the vo-tech students had lost the pickup, as the engine had a home-made thing , made of screen attached where the Float-o belonged. Evidently the screen floated on top of the oil, keeping the pickup tube itself out of the oil.

With the oil pressure fixed, it was finally road-worthy. Then it blew a head gasket. So we fixed the stripped threads in the block where one of the head studs went in and put in a new head gasket. After that gasket blew, close inspection found a chip off the edge of one combustion chamber, just big enough so the edge of the head gasket wasn't being pinched down. It wasn't evident from the blown gaskets themselves because the non-squeezed part was blown away. We had the head planed, after which the engine ran pretty well.

So he ended up going into this "overhauled" engine from all 4 sides, some repeatedly. A couple were due to the Jeep/Jeepster changes but the majority were due to little bombs left by the vo-techs.

I am sure all vo-techs are not equal, but my closest exposure has not been that positive.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Technical Colleges

Postby Eugene » Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:57 am

Let me put in a good word for the local technical college, Linn State Technical College, Linn, Missouri. The school puts out to notch graduates - making very good starting salaries.

Along the same line. I work for a major corporation in Jefferson City, Missouri. After 6 months of employment with the corporation they will pay for your college education. There are some limitations. The corporation has a very large number of college students working for them.

Also, the quality of the education one receives depends more on the student's attitude and ability than the school. I taught shop (Industrial Technology) for a number of years. My though is/was that a lot of students were there for a free ride.

Remember, these comments are just my opinions, not that I'm opinionated.

Eugene

electromech31
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby electromech31 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:00 pm

Thank you all for info. I wasnt planning to send the block out. I have been in the machinist trade for 16 years and my mill is big enought for the block. But I have not remachined a engine block. The cylinders are worn past a hone. From the info I have recieved the valve guides can be replaced but can the seats be replaced?

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:06 pm

The original valve seats are machined as part of the bolck. If they are to bad to use it requires a special cutter to machine out an opening so inserted valve seats can be used. Had to have it done on a couple seats in the 48.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

electromech31
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby electromech31 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:22 pm

thanks
sounds like if valve seats are shot, have to job it out. Is there some place else to find serial on tractor, the origianal plate is missing. Block was cast in 1947

3AcreCub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby 3AcreCub » Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:30 pm

I've never bored a block, either, but I wouldn't hesitate to bore one if I had a vertical mill big enough. Especially in the cast iron which is going to be very machinable. I'm guessing you can get all four cyls in one setup which would make it a little easier? Even two setups wouldn't be bad. At least you will know it's right. Heck, I'm thinking of laying mine across my Hendy and boring it there one day. It's a toolmaker's lathe built for the navy in '45 and man, is that a machine. All headstock and all tailstock! Will you post pics of your operation as you do it?

electromech31
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby electromech31 » Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:43 pm

Ya I will post pics of boring the cylinders. I still have to get the crank out.

Return to “Farmall Cub”