This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Radiator clearence

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Radiator clearence

Postby cowboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:50 am

I got a radiator off epay that was soposet to have two bad cores they droped somthing on it. The tank on it is good so I decided to have it recored it should be done wensday for $98. The fork on the timing cover had been broken and welded up looks fairly strait.

But the fan blade is within 1/4" of the coolant tank when I set the old radiator on it and line it up to the old holes and I can see where the blade has hit the tank before. With out the gasket the fan blade goes past the bottom of the tank by 3/8" the belt is IH 251428-81 22848 I was thinking a shorter belt would pull it down under the tank which would give me 1/2" clearence or the recored radiator which the tank is not bent up may be a bit taller. I don't know but am concerened about it. and was wondering if some one has looked at this before and has any ideas

Thanks Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 1:19 pm

Hi Cubguy

The radiator is an IH but somthing was droped on it. I am replaceing it with a recored IH radiator but I will not have it back untill wensday. Just looked and right now with the belt tight it is just below the half way point of forks but I will check out the parts manual to make sure I have the right belt.

I have one hardened washer on the shaft like it showes in the manual. When I took it apart it had a soft washer which flared out to where I could not get a wrench on it to take it off and a bunch of washers on the back that Jim B told me to get rid of which I did.

I wish I had gotten a timing cover now but at the I didn't realise that their might be a problem other than looks. Only one finger of the forks was broken and the welded one sees even with the other one.

Thanks CG
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Mar 29, 2005 2:49 pm

Wait a minute cow boy. What do you mean with that wrench on a nut business? The forks hold the nut and you put a wrench on the shaft. Some shafts have flats to make a hex for the wrench and some are Hexshafts. I am beginning to wonder if people putting washers in the grove, tightening caused the washers to mushroom and the resulting side pressure is the cause of so many broken forks.
Jim Becker, BD, John, Donny, and the rest of you experts. What do you think.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:15 pm

Yup, I agree that mushroomed washers putting side pressure on the fork could definately break a tine off. Cast iron is unforgiving.
Then came Bronson

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Tue Mar 29, 2005 3:36 pm

:shock: Whoh easy guys

:-:-): While I do get things wrong I usually only do it wrong once. I do try to learn from my oh $#!*'s. Mr Jim Becker already straitened me out on that one :!: As I have it now from the back nut-fork-washer-flats on the shaft. Without the washer next to flats on the shaft the shaft will go through the forks and ends up with the pully aginst the forks (bad).

But thanks for keeping me on the strait and narrow. When I took it apart it had a washer with the edges cut off to fit into the slot on the back of the forks another washer and then the nut. Jim cought it and made me fix it right :!:

Looking at the old radiator closer it looks like the is bent down on the back. Hopefully the new one will line up better.

Mesured the fan blades at the top and bottom. Top is just over a 1/2" and the bottom is 3/4 between the radiator and fan blade. Now if only the tank wasn't in the way I would be fine. :wink:

Billy

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue Mar 29, 2005 4:24 pm

Billy sorry I did not say it right. What i am trying to get to is that in your case and many others PO had put the hurt to it. I realize we had this discussion recently. What you made me rthink is that thru the years people thinking they were helping them selves had hurt them selves. Because you brought this up you may be saving othere from the same agony of broken forks.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cowboy » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:38 am

Hi Bill :{_}:

Keep the comments comming that way we all learn. Feel free to joke around too. As much a I love cubs the best thing about them are the peaple who run them or want to. If you ever come out this way let me know and I'll throw some steaks on the grill. :wink:

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:07 am

Never know. I have a daughter that lives in Minneapolis and we visit her from time to time.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”