This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What works better for snow ? A forward blade or a belly ?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

What works better for snow ? A forward blade or a belly ?

Postby rick 48 cub » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:39 pm

Hi All,

In addition to being good to look at, I want to make my Cub useful. I would greatly appreciate any advice/experience/opinions members have concerning the best mounting position (and blade type) for a snow plow blade.

Thanks for all of the recent tips on changing the rear tires by myself !

Rick in Minnesota
Rick 1948 cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Mac from NS
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mac from NS » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:47 pm

Hi Rick : no contest the snowplow should be on front
Take a little time to play,you don't grow old as fast that way.

Mac

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:48 pm

Hi Rick

For snow you are better off with the blade mounted on the front. If it is mounted in the center the snow can pack up behind the front wheels making it hard to back up. :wink:

Billy
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby (CUB HUT) » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:49 pm

Rick I use mine in the forward position, keeps snow from piling up under the tractor & having to drag the front wheels back through it.
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:51 pm

Rick,

It will depend on your individual need. The belly blade is much easier to control and would be first choice for grading. It would work well for snow plowing too... unless you have to pile snow. It can be a big problem backing away and getting the front wheels over the pile. For that reason most prefer the front position just for snow.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

I'm convinced - front it is.

Postby rick 48 cub » Mon Mar 28, 2005 10:56 pm

Thanks for the recommendation for the front mount.

Next step - what kind or type of blade should I get ? It would be nice to get one to operate off of the hydraulics, to get one that actuates both up and down and side to side. Finally, I want to make sure that it is designed to take a hit from an immovable object without damaging the tractor. Several months ago one of the forum members broke off part of the engine casting when hitting a water valve or something in his driveway.

Thanks again,

Rick
Rick 1948 cub

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:32 am

Here your choices are more limited. You either get an old Cub blade (54 or 54A, big $$$!) or you're on your own. On your own, as in you will have to fabricate your own blade mounting system, and possibly the blade itself. This isn't like a pick-em-up truck where you can go down to your local truck equipper and have them install a Meyers plow on it, or buy a NEW bolt-on kit.

Hydraulic lift, okay. The Cub blades are designed to be linked to the hydraulic lift under the gas tank. Power angle? Not a stock option, but people have added it. It's another fabrication project to add the angle cylinder to a stock blade. Plus, you'll need the hydraulic "bypass block" ($75.00), a small cylinder, hoses, and an open-center spool valve.

By fabrication, I mean steel, welder, torch, grinder, etc.. If your fabrication skills are limited, your options will be limited...

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:03 pm

Rick:

I would suggest that if possible and is affordable you try and find either a McCormick-Deering Leveling and Grader Blade (early version), a Cub-54 Leveling and Grader Blade (new and improved version0 or the Cub-54A Leveling and Grader Blade (final version).

As you know, much of the information on these various blades are available by searching the threads with the key words Grader Blade or by visiting the Cub Manual Server.

If however you cannot find one of these Cub specific blades, then might I suggest that you actually build your own.

I have not yet tried out my McCormick-Deering Leveling and Grader Blade as it is still in the restoration and conversion to a Cub-54 Blade. But I have been using my Snow Plow Blade for the previous 2 years.

The drawings are available on the Cub Manual Server under the Implement and Part Sketches link.

This blade works very well even though it was originally built to use on an A :!: :roll: :D I would recommend though that square tubing stock be used instead of the round stock as it would be easier to asssemble/weld and such.

Hope this helps
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Farmall Cub”