This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

adjusting fanbelt, etc

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
jmageras
10+ Years
10+ Years

adjusting fanbelt, etc

Postby jmageras » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:22 pm

I'm trying to understand how to change both my belts. I have read through previous msgs on this forum and found differing opinions on whether the fan/shroud assembly need to be removed. The service manual seem to indicate the it can be done without removal. My problem is that the image in the manual is so dark that I cannot make out any detail!

It appears that the fan/hub assembly sit in a fork attached to the front of the engine. If this can be loosened, the assembly should slide down. This should allow for adjustment and replacement, I think. How is the loosened? The nut sitting in the fork (engine side) has minimum exposure and even if you can get a good grip on it, it looks like it will only turn a tad. This is all probably obvious to everyone but me. Thanks, Jim

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:32 pm

Jim, you turn the shaft not the nut. There are differing opinions as to whether you can change the belts without removing the shroud. When you finish the job, you can tell us whether it is possible.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

jmageras
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby jmageras » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:36 pm

Bigdog wrote:Jim, you turn the shaft not the nut. There are differing opinions as to whether you can change the belts without removing the shroud. When you finish the job, you can tell us whether it is possible.

Thanks Bigdog. Do I turn the shaft via the nut on the other side of the fork (towards radiator)?

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:48 pm

The shaft is Hex stock and you just turn it. I went nuts trying to figure it out the first time. The nut is held captive in the fork so that you don't need a second wrench. I had to remove the generator the time I did it. Was so easy after it was done.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Sat Mar 26, 2005 2:52 pm

Mine is a little different Bill my shaft has two flat spots on to put a wrench on it otherwise the same.
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

jmageras
10+ Years
10+ Years

The verdict is in

Postby jmageras » Sat Mar 26, 2005 3:18 pm

OK, for me the fan/hub had to come off. I also had to loosened the shroud. At least I didn't have to take the rear tires off. Whew. Thanks to all for the help.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:29 pm

Sounds like you got it done, good deal. i have changed the fan belt on my 48 without removing the shroud, but it was close. if you are changing the generator belt, well that's another story.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”