This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Should I buy burnt Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
tomjan357
10+ Years
10+ Years

Should I buy burnt Cub

Postby tomjan357 » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:17 am

I have the opportunity to buy a Cub that was in a shop building that burnt. The engine was rebuilt by the local CASE/IH dealer last year. The tractor was fully restored prior to the fire. The dist. cap and Wiring was totally destroyed. the top of the radiator was melted the carb was burnt off as was the alum steering support. The tires were burn off but the wheels apear to be ok. What are the chances that the seals in the engine, transmission and such like are still good. Are the cast iron and carbon steel parts likely to be unhurt? The sheetmetal is not distorted or hurt other than loosing the paint. What are the odds that the engine could be salvaged? The seller wants $400 for the machine. I am trying to determine if there are enough salvageabe part to justify the investment.
I have no plans to sell or dispose of my cub any time in the near future and a parts tractor could be handy if the parts are safe to use. Has anyone had any experiance with a burnt tractor? Thanks for the help. Tom
If it ain't broke I didn't touch it

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:47 am

I bought what you describe for $125. Although many components are salvageable, total dis-assembly is the only proper salvage procedure. Any rubber seals will be ruined. Lighter gauge steel parts will be very soft and easily dented and will have no strength. The good news is that the cast pieces are likely unharmed.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sat Mar 26, 2005 10:35 am

Check the condition of the engine and transmission oil. If they are not burned (tell mostly by smell), the internal parts are probably OK. If the oil is burned, I would suspect the internal parts have been too hot.

tomjan357
10+ Years
10+ Years

What is too hot?

Postby tomjan357 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:25 pm

Does too hot mean that it needs to be torn down cleaned and all seals and such replaced or (I'm holding my breath) does it mean that the internal parts, crank, cam, valves, rods, pistons, ect. are not safe to use for a rebuild? The oil is very dark and has a scortched smell to it.
I'm good with the fact that all the soft metal parts are ruined, but was hoping that the engine could be rebuilt for a spare.

I bought the tractor, he dropped his price to $200 and I really wanted the cast iron housing that the radiator bolts to. That part alone usually sells for over a hundred dollars. The fan shroud appears to be in great shape and even if it is a bit soft should be useable if I sandblast it and prime and paint it well. It's much better than the half rusted one I'm now using.

Thanks for all the help. I wish I had more to contribute to the group, but I'm still in the learning stage. I do know one thing for sure........I really enjoy my Cub. This Group makes it much easier to repair and restore it.
I can't do a lot of work on it at any one time as I use it too much for mowing and towing stuff around the place.
If it ain't broke I didn't touch it

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:46 pm

Definitley every seal and gasket will be bad. If it still has oil in it, I would expect the main parts of the engibe to be ueeable, but would anticiapte replacing the rod and main bearings, as well as boiling out the block just as on a complete overhaul/
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

bobburke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07419

Postby bobburke » Mon Mar 28, 2005 11:05 am

You could part it out and sell it on EBay. The thing to do lately is descibe it as rusty and not burned :wink:

Return to “Farmall Cub”