This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub Heat Indicator

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub Heat Indicator

Postby Mag Man » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:03 pm

Did the cubs as in the 51 come with any kind of heat guage if not how do you tell if its runing to hot besides over heating?
MagMan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:27 pm

Magman. I am unaware of any type temp. guage for the early cubs. If your losing too much coolant from boil over, I guess that would be your indicator unless you had a temp gauge of some sort (previous posts on this subject talked about infrared sights for temp gauging).

Just remember that your coolant level will always be a few inches from the top to allow for coolant expansion.
Ron

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:46 pm

Thanks Ron Here I thought I had a problem with the top Rad tank becuase it always goes a few inches down. Does the cap on this ever build pressure or can it be taken off at any time? Cause I would get the meat themomator out and check it when I think shes getting hot and steaming a little and see what the rest of the story is. LOL

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:08 pm

Being a thermosyphon system there is always a lot of expansion and contraction of the collant going on, whcih reslults in the loolant leveleling itself aoubt 1 1/2 inch or so below the filler. Assuming it has the correct cap, there should be no pressure. There should be no steam either.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Charles (49) Mo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63031

Steam

Postby Charles (49) Mo » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:10 pm

A Cub should never steam. Is your fan shroud attached?

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:42 pm

I think there may be a small leak by the top hose or maybe in the hose so that might be where the steam is coming from when it leaks. But this was last summer this winter I have been running a tee shirt over the grill to help keep her warm. And have not had any problems. The thing is I figured that with Gas prices I will probly leave the H and SM in the shop more this summer and use the cub to plow up to 20 acres I Till and I just dont want to over work her and get her hot and crack anything.It just makes me nervous not having a heat guage.
MagMan

evielboweviel
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43130
eBay ID: evilboweviel

plowing

Postby evielboweviel » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:56 am

If you have that much to plow throw out an open invitation to all cub owners and you probably will have plenty of help and lots of fun. Even get to meet new people.
Ron

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:43 am

I did think of that a spring plowing contest . If I get enough people I may not have to use any Gas. They used to have a Johnny Popper plowing contest at the end of my road in the spring but I have not seen anything like that in my area in 15 years probly. We do still have a group that is into the mules and work horses they have plowing contests I think Hmmm
Whats faster a work horse with a plow or a cub. I can let the horses stop at the wheat field at the end for some refreshment in between. I will have to give this one more thought. LOL

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ike » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:11 am

Mag Man wrote:The thing is I figured that with Gas prices I will probly leave the H and SM in the shop more this summer and use the cub to plow up to 20 acres

Mag Man,
The bigger tractators use more fuel/hour, but they also pull more bottoms for fewer rounds and less time. Using the Cub might not save fuel. Just a thought. :) But if you just want to do it all with a Cub, that is great, too :!:

A plow day would be fun. We usually have one here after wheat harvest. No particular brand of equipment, just a bunch of guys that like to work old tractors. I like it because it takes me back to my years of growing up on the farm in Darke County, Ohio. I always liked plowing and working ground. To make it even better, I am still using the same tractor as I did them. It isn't an IH, but it's red. :D

Thanks to the efforts of John *.?-!.* Cub Owner, I will soon have a plow for my Cub as well!

Ike

rvharris3
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rvharris3 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:46 am

Before I bought my Cub Lo-Boy, the fan shroud was removed and I am in the
process of getting one. I am convinced of its importance given the no
water pump design. Does your Cub have a shroud to channel more air through the radiator? Also it is possible for the tubes or slots inside the radiator to be stopped up and that means removing the radiator and cleaning out if possible the vertical slots. I initially made the mistake of OVER filling my radiator and then wondering why it released extrta water when it got warm. Hope this experience helps. I also have a temp guage with a sensor and can remove the radiator cap and drop the sensor into the water(before I start the tractor). It gets up to 175 after a 5 minutes at idle.
1962 Cub Lo-Boy w/Woods Mower-59-C-2
1972 Gravely L-8
1941 John Deere "A" Styled

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:51 am

Yea I thought of that too. alls I have is two bottom plows I have a set of three but need a hind wheel . alot of times I take the 2 bottom and the SM in third gear at about 1/3 throttle and go to town. but that ol girl seems to suck more gas at idle than the cub does at full throttle.I guess if I was pressed for time I could just hook the discs to the SM and go over it a few times and be done with it but its just the fun of sitting on a more comfratable seat on the cub . I can say it usally gets boring after awhile and I get one of the bigger girls out. I guess if you look at it as gas being .25 to.35 cents more a galon than it was its only $2.50 to 3.50 extra a tank. Heck I used to spend twice as much on smokes a day than that.
Also I think I would be to inbarased to plow in front of some of these guys My fields dont usally look to pretty when I get done if you all know what I mean. LOL MagMan

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Postby Ike » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:08 am

Mag Man wrote:Also I think I would be to inbarased to plow in front of some of these guys My fields dont usally look to pretty when I get done if you all know what I mean. LOL MagMan

Our fields usually don't look pretty either. :D We really don't have any kind of contest. The guys just enjoy getting out and having a little fun. Then there is the time afterwards just sitting around listening to the BS. :)

Ike

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401

Postby (CUB HUT) » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:22 pm

Plow day's are fun . We have one every fall
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:50 pm

Theres what I need steam engine what heats the water on them?

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:58 pm

Wood / coal fired boiler.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”