This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub No. two

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Cub No. two

Postby John Niekamp » Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:25 am

Well folks, NOT even knowing what a CUB will do for sure, (except from this forum) and got Mary convienced that I NEEDED number two and not even having the 55 LoBoy for a year. Mr: John @#$@#$%!@ Cub owner sold me a real jewel today, a 1954 with a blade, wieghts and Woods 42C4 deck.

I got to admit and Mary will agree 100 percent, it's one ulgy little Cub, but it does have some good potiential. Everything is there, with the exception of the correct seat, (now I need to find TWO) But I have this gut feeling that this is going to turn out to be a good running tractor. I haven't hear her run yet, but John said that he got it to run for a few seconds, long enogh to raise the blade. The Cub isn't really cobbled up like my other one was, but there is some rust. (understatement)

I am real happy to purchase it from John and I was real pleased to meet him in person. By the way, John is the FIRST of this great community I have had the opertunity to meet. AND he even gave me one of his well knowned red "!@##! CUB OWNER" hats, now I really feel part of this elite family. (just waiting for a Dieletric hat now, lol)

I haven't quite decided on what I am going to do just yet. My for the time being plans is getting the Cub to run good and use it for the mowing and bladeing this summer and then after I restore it, I will put the mowing deck on my Loboy. Then I will build me a three-pint for this one. Then again nothing set in stone yet.

Anyhow here are a couple of pictures of Mary and the Boys with John Cub, then one of John and myself.

I just haven't figured out why John (on the left) has this BIG smile on his face for. :{_}: :lol: :shock: :?: HUMMMMM :!:
John Niekamp
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:14 am

8) 8) 8) ALL RIGHT JOHN :!: :!: :!:

:{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby George Willer » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:44 am

I just haven't figured out why John (on the left) has this BIG smile on his face for. HUMMMMM
John Niekamp

John,

First off, you just have to come to CubFest to meet many of your new friends personally. I used to keep a log of names of internet tractor friends I have met... and the list contained over 100 names a couple years ago.

Secondly, I only met John @#$@#$%!@ Cub owner once, at the first Cubarama, but I think the big smile is permanent!

Thirdly, congratulations on the new Cub... you're on your way!

Fourthly, now convince her you need a tandem trailer so you can haul two Cubs at once (like Bigdog's).
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:56 am

I just haven't figured out why John (on the left) has this BIG smile on his face for

His wallet is a little fatter, plus his wife won't be complaining about that rust pile in the yard. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, while it looks a bit rough, or ruff, I know you'll have it looking great in no time. That's why J $#&^%$&^ is smiling. He knows it found a good home. Take lots of pics during the refurb. You'll enjoy looking back at the transformation.

Congrats on #2. 8) 8) 8)

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:59 am

Congratulations John.

Bill
Last edited by beaconlight on Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:16 am

When his wife saw the pictures, she said at least it's red. Yup, rust is a shade of red!

also I'm smiling because I don't have to fix it up. LOL
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Mar 20, 2005 11:17 am

George is right, of the times I've met John, he always has a smile on his face. He is a man who truly enjoys life!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:30 pm

I have seen that :D before. :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:05 pm

It keeps people wondering what I'm up to.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:05 pm

No, actually I assumed as much. Ole John done me REAL well. I think John is just a happy go lucky kind of guy.

I got up this morning early just dying to get it running. First thing I done was take the carb off and put my LoBoy's on it. Then I used a jummper fuel tank and ran a line to the carb. Took the battery out of the other Cub and ran a hot wire to the coil, thing fired right off and you should have seen the crud that came out of the exhaust.

Took a couple of minutes for the oil pressure to read, I was about ready to shut it down and prime the oil pump and just as I was reaching for the hot wire, the gage jummped up to mid range. Whew! that was a huge releif. I left it sit on the trailer running for about 45 mintues moving the throttle lever up and down, unstrapped the tractor and drove it around for a few mintues checking everything out. I can't find a thing wrong with it mechanically. no noises from the transmission and the PTO, clutch and hydraulics works just fine and even the brakes works good as well.

The enigne just runs as good as my LoBoy, no missing, no hesitation, no nothing. The engine ran about 160 degress. I don't think I will do a thing to it except for a new wiring harness, for this one is completely shot.

The only thing I see was a slight trace of blue smoke, but that's to be expected from sitting so long, rings are probably stuck a little and I use this little trick on a engine that has been sitting as this one has. I take mix two cycle oil with the gas for a 50:1 ratio. I run this until it gone and then put in regular gas. Knowing that everything is dry and sticky, the extra amount of oil will help loosen up the valves and rings. So far this little tirck has paid off over the years.

John #$%$, gave the starter button a few shots of Kroil and got it freed up and it works good now. The carb. water settled in it and it, was all oxidzed, you know how this does on pot metal-aluminum/mag, but was able to get it all torn apart and even saved the gaskets. Getting ready to take it down to the shop and sitck in the glalss bead cabinet and going to stick it back on using everything over, at least for the time being. The hardest part on the carb was to get the pin out of the float itself, everything else came a aprt real easily, AND the top half was flat as it could be, that was a first for me on one of these pot metal style carbs.

The only thing I reall need to buy right now is a generator belt and probabably a regulator, other than that. I'm taking off the blade and doing some slight repairs to the deck then mount it. And of course change all the oils and fluids and get that thing ready for Spring. It's just have to look ulgy and be the "KROIL EXPRESS" for this year. Oh yeah, I need to replace the fuse in the dash, for it was blown and get me some new seal beams lights, they all are showing an open circuit.

John

PS: Mary is taking bets, that I won't just leave this in this shape for very long, lol
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:23 pm

My money is with Mary.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:52 pm

Congratulations, John. And it ain't even Christmas ! :lol:

Another reason *.?-!.*John is smiling is "he knows that you won't be satisfied till you get a cub for each impliment!"........... :roll:
Ron

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:59 pm

John make sure those boys of yours get tractor training before you let them use one. The ole better safe than sorry routine.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:12 pm

It ought to make a good project cub for cubfest. :lol:

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:12 pm

I've been thinking about taking my 48 that has been setting since I brought it back from Louisiana and going through the steps to get one like that running so you could evaluate it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”