This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Mowing with a Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Shopp'n Cubs
10+ Years
10+ Years

Mowing with a Cub

Postby Shopp'n Cubs » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:57 pm

I have never had a mower for my '55. Was wondering how good the cubs are for mowing a lawn?

Does it depend on the mower?
Are woods better than IH or others?
Are loboys better for mowing than fcubs?
Are the mowers easy to maintain?

Any other info could be helpful.

I saw this:
http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/phot ... =retrieval

And thought it would be a nice companion to my '55 cub!! Anyone close to it?
If I could swing it, maybe I could talk Ralph into drawing his magic yeller paint gun and I would have a nice little mower :D :wink:

Guy
'55 Cub, (but always shopp'n!) '02 Kub, '57 Ford 640

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:09 pm

First you better say how much lawn. Next is it nanny goat country. Don't go accross steep hills to prevent rollover. Next how swampy, many close together flower beds. You don't have the short turning radius of a hand mower. If mowing a fine soft lawn you are better off with turf tires. Let us know these and other particulars to have a true forthright answer.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:14 pm

Guy, the cub and a belly mower make an excellent combination for mowing. I recently purchased a lo-boy with a woods 42" mower and I anticipate using it for partial mowing duties this summer. I believe the lo-boy will be preferable to the standard cub for lawn work. As far as which mower is better, I think they are so close that one is not significantly better than the other. The plus for the woods mower is that they are still being made so parts are readily available from any Woods dealer. Whether you choose a finish mower or a 42" rough cut model, both provide decent finish cuts in my opinion. Maintenance is pretty much routine with them as well. I think there is no better therapy than some time spent on a cub mowing with either a rotary or sickle bar mower.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:46 pm

I'm pretty darn happy with my 42c finish. If you have a lot of obstacles and agressive turning it may mot be the best choice because of weight possibly rutting. I have a small old MTD for around the obstacles. The blades are easy to sharpen, and it will do light bush hogging as well as a nice finish....Ok, woods can pay me now!

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:08 am

Shopp'n Cubs, Mowing is about the only seat time I get and I really enjoy it. Like BD said it is therapy and relaxing.

I like the Woods 42CFX. It has a chain drive from the PTO to the idler pullys. It makes a beautiful finish cut in one pass, but I go slow at almost full throttle in first gear, and keep the blades sharp. I have been cutting grass here for a few weeks already 8) 8) :P this season thanks to a wetter than average winter.

Maintenance on the Woods 42CFX consists of greasing the drive shaft and the chain drive, and sharpening the blades. (Keep you PTO greased too) Also, I have the front axle and rear tires set in all the way. The mower hangs just about an in or two inside of this track, so I can cut up close to trees and walls etc. The Cub has an excellent turning radius for what it is.

I need to drop the rear wheel weights off my rig and get the turf tires put on, but I been too busy mowin' :D

I would post a mowing picture, but if I do I might get banned from cub.com or even someting worse could happen :shock: .. :roll: but here's a link from last week

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6878
"The time you spend making sure you are safe is probably the most productive time you can spend!"
George Willer

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Sat Mar 19, 2005 12:11 pm

Guy, I had a Power King for my "not-so-finish" mowing in a small field, and my Cadet 108 handled the front lawn. When I got a new Woods CLF59 for my Loboy, I started doing the front lawn in addition to the field. It does a beautiful job. However, the mower wasn't inexpensive, and turf tires are a must. Maneuverability is better than you'd think, although you still have to be smart about it. The 59" cut makes up for time lost turning. The Loboy allows you to get under tree limbs, etc., a little easier than the standard Cub. Most importantly, I believe there is a certain "panache" to mowing your front lawn with a vintage Cub while everybody else is using Craftsmans or similar.
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

HART
10+ Years
10+ Years

CUB MOWING

Postby HART » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:35 pm

I HAVE MOWED WITH A "CONTINENTAL BELTON" 60" MOWER ON MY 52' CUB FOR OVER 20 YRS. NOW. I LIKE THE 'BELTON" BECAUSE IT SEEMS TO TRANSFER LITTLE MORE POWER TO PULLYS WITH LESS BELT TRAVEL.
I HAVE MOWED OVER SMALL BRUSH AND TRUNKS OF YOUNG TREES TO CLEAR LAND AND NOW MOW ABOUT 8 HRS A WEEK IN ROLLING LAND AND ROUGH FENCE ROWS. ALSO DOES GOOD JOB ON LAWN AND PASTURE LONG AS I KEEP DECK LEVELED PROPERLY TO ELIMINATE "RIDGES" AND TUFTS OF GRASS. ]LOT OF FUN...... WHEN IT'S RUNNING GOOD. BOY, AM I CRANKY WHEN CUB ISN'T RUNNING GOOD. INCIDENTALLY HAS ANY ONE ELSE EVER HEARD OF THE "BELTON" MOWER MADE IN TEXAS ??? .

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Mar 21, 2005 7:32 pm

About 22" left to melt before I am going to mow.... hopefully I will have the Cub ready by then!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 190e44.jpg

Still need to get the trailer out!
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/Bu ... 69daea.jpg
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:59 pm

Continental Belton Company of Belton, TX has been around for a long time. They are now under the name AG-MEIER. They can be reached at
1000 E. 6th Ave. Belton, Texas 76513
Phone: (254) 939-3731

They should be able to give you the name of the nearest dealer. You would probably need to go through a dealer to see what parts are still available for your mower.

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:23 pm

HAS ANY ONE ELSE EVER HEARD OF THE "BELTON" MOWER MADE IN TEXAS ??? .

HART, I have a Belton mower, although I haven't used it yet. I'm assuming that the tractor pulley drive shaft is pointed down and attaches to the shaft on the drive pulley. This way, the belts run on one plane. Is this the way it is hooked up?
Larry

Alan Riley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71328

Postby Alan Riley » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:03 pm

Stevens Tractor in Coushatta, LA has parts for Continental Belton mowers. They have a website at http://www.stevenstractor.com and a free parts catalog. They also carry some Cub parts.

HART
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby HART » Tue Mar 22, 2005 2:39 pm

LARRY,YES, YOUR ASSUMPTION IS CORRECT. IT IS A SIMPLE, DIRECT TRANSFER OF POWER TO THE BELT. CONTINENTAL, OR NOW , AG-MEIER,HAS A VERY DETAILED MANUAL SHOWING HOW TO HOOK TO THE CUB AND ALSO A FORD. THANKS ALL, FOR THE UPDATE ON THE NAME CHANGE TO AG-MEIER AS I PLAN TO ORDER NEW BLADES AFTER 23 HARD YRS. USE. DON'T NEED BELT AS YET , BUT AM GOING TO ORDER ONE AND HAVE ON HAND ... JUST IN CASE. YOU KNOW HOW THAT IS !!!!

oldcub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Mowing with a Cub

Postby oldcub » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:21 pm

I pull an old Kub klipper behind my 53 Cub. Hooking it up was an adventure but it beats taking the belly mower off each winter so I can install the snow plow. I use it for rough mowing deer plots and light brush hogging. The belt drive on the mower allows cushioning if I whack something.

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Changing out the belly mower...

Postby allenlook » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:18 pm

Something Rudy and I came up with last year and noodled back and forth for changing out the belly mower is working good for me...

1. I built up 4 squares of concrete block, one placed under each tractor tire.

2. I put 2x12 ramps up to the rear set of blocks, and then lay my steel truck ramps across the top of the blocks from back to front, like rails for the front tires to go across, then I drive Jay up on the blocks so he's up off the ground. One wheel on each set of blocks.

3. I take out the steel truck ramps between the back and front sets of blocks.

4. I drop the belly mower and disconnect it.

5. I put the steel ramps back on and back off the sets of blocks.

Wah-la.
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”