This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sealing Gas Tank

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Sealing Gas Tank

Postby Paul_NJ » Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:01 am

How important is it really to seal a gas tank after cleaning? The tank (on my 340 actually) has lots of old cruddy gas residue and dirt, but there's not much corrosion. I spoke with a local radiator shop, and he'd clean it (for about $100) but recommended against sealing. He said if you don't get a perfect coating and miss any spots, over time the gasolene could begin to lift the coating through any missed spots, and then you'd be worse off if you hadn't coated it at all. If I'm only going to clean the tank, I'll do that myself and save the $100.

How much is a cleaned tank going to corrode without a sealer, with gasolene in there? Is coating really necessairy, or possibly overkill? Does anyone have experience of not coating and wishing they had?

Thanks for the insights

paul
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:45 am

Many people reccomend coating, but the main reason is to prevent rust. Keeping the tank full of gasoline rather than leaving it partially full will go a long ways toward preventing rust and corrosion.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”