This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Engine weight

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years

Engine weight

Postby Dave in Md » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:06 pm

I'm getting things ready to do a split to replace the seals. I don't have a shop crane or an overhead beam that I can use as a support so I'm planning to make a frame to straddle the tractor and lift/lower the engine with a come-along. What kind of weight are we talking about? Is there another option I should consider?
TIA - Dave

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:31 pm

Dave - I would guess 500 lbs. max. If you rig using a doubled 2 X 8 you should have plenty of support.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Don't know much....

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:34 pm

about biology or some other stuff, but since I've been checking on ways to hoist my cub and work on the steering, here's what I've been told about using a come-along. "You are looking for an accident to happen." "Do you have your life insurance premium paid for?" "A come-along will kill/maim you faster than you can spit". " There are others, but you get the gist of it. Probably using a chain hoist (more expensive) is a bit safer, but we'd much rather see you here posting than becoming compost. :)

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:51 pm

Dave. I agree with Rick. Check this out. Its pretty reasonable and could be used for other things as well........ http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=33003

Just a suggestion :)
Ron

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Shop crane

Postby Eugene » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:16 pm

Cherry pickers - shop cranes are not very expensive. They have wheels and casters to move the engine forward. Well worth the expense. If you look around you should be able to get a decent one for $200 - $300-.

You can also rent one or perhaps borrow one from a neighbor.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:53 pm

I guess I missed the come along part there. But if you have one like the old ones they used to make, I wouldn't worry about it. A chain hoist would definitely be best and you can buy them even cheaper than the one Ron listed from Harbor Freight. I bought a shop hoist from HF a while back. Very handy. I need to rig a swivel for the drop chain though.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:09 pm

BD. I think we have all done some very foolish things in our past, and will continue to do the risky, sometimes, in exchange for time. However, passing those on would be even the more foolish.... Just some passing thoughts. :?
Ron

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Bigdog....

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:40 pm

No need to beat up on yourself. Let us do it for you! (Just kidding). When you posted, you barely beat me to the posting. I just remembered what you great guys did in trying to help me with my tractor. George Willer posted something to the effect, "The time you spend in planning safety is the most important thing of all". I know I paraphrased it, but you get the meaning. And, yes, I do remember the old chain type come-alongs too. But, they are few and far between. Maybe some dielectic grease...... :D

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 22, 2005 3:55 pm

If you are talking about the assembled engine, minus front casting etc. you are looking at 175 to 200 pounds of weight. I used to pick up and carry them by hand, of course that' probably one of the reasons I can't carry anything now.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Larry in CO
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Larry in CO » Tue Feb 22, 2005 5:35 pm

Harbor Freight has 1000lb engine stands on sale now for $39.95 now. They also have engine hoists, "cherry pickers", for $175 - $200. I got one of the engine stands a couple of days ago - looks pretty good. I've had a cherry picker for several years and couldn't do without it. It came in very handy when I was disassembling and reassembling my H a couple of years ago. Whole lot better to be safe than sorry. Larry

Dave in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave in Md » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:37 pm

Thanks for all the input.
I don't feel beat up. I just quenched my thirst at the Well of Cub-Knowledge.
I'll forget the come-along and plan to use something more suitable. I've checked on the cranes, TSC & Sam's $175. I was trying to go cheap... cuz that's me. Thought about an engine stand but the one's I've seen have no way to adjust height. All they'll do is let you spin the block, once it's attached. (Do the gorilla's come in the box to put the engine on the stand?)
I had safety in the back of my mind. Thanks for the slap on the head that moved it to the front where it belongs.
Dave

Larry in CO
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Larry in CO » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:52 pm

The best way I've found to mount the engine on the stand is to have it hooked to the cherry picker and just line everything up, bolt the engine to the stand, then unhook the cherry picker. To take it off the stand, just hook the cherry picker to the engine and unbolt it from the stand. Works slicker than all get out that way. Also, I've found that you don't necessarily need to have an adjustable engine stand. I've got a couple of stools of different heights that I can sit on to relieve my back while working on the engine. HTH. Larry

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:51 pm

I agree with John @#!&^Cub Owner. I have picked them up by hand before, minus the flywheel. Not that I recommend it, but the weight is what John said. I have a $200 shop crane from Harbour Freight, good for about 1500#. The only problem I have is the crane's lifting height. Gotta use a short chain.

Mike Duncan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Duncan » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:26 pm

Dave, be sure to check out Rudi's website under Maintenance Tips and Techniques (articles by Art Chester).

He has posted an item that shows how to make a splitting stand for a Cub.

As always, Rudi has a lot to offer the rest of us tractor nuts.

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Mainte ... 0Stand.htm
1939 Ford 9N Serial #144!!!, 1944 Ford 2N, 1948 Ford 8N and a 1950 IH Cub. Always looking for Cub implements as well!

Return to “Farmall Cub”