This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

only 1/4 ugly now

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:31 pm

Larry:

I think the Rufus would be a wonderful name for your Cub. From what I can see, a Cub's name should have some personal importance or meaning to you. In your case, it has an added historical significance! Go for it :!: :idea: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04664
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Postby Vern Campbell » Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:20 pm

Larry, those are some great links, too, and some fascinating reading. You are so right about how interesting it is to follow history through one person's experiences and contributions. I didn't realize the Blue Hill connection with Ingalls. There is a Brig. Gen. Hiram Burnham buried in his home town of Cherryfield, a town about 15 miles from me. He enlisted at the beginning of the Civil War and was shot off his horse leading his men near Richmond, Virginia in 1864 at age 50. I use him as a means of getting students involved--they follow his role as a very successful merchant and landowner and try to understand why he felt the need to enlist. Rufus Ingalls' Blue Hill connection would be a similar close-to-home connection, and he certainly lived some history! I liked the Forrest Gump comparison! :lol:
Vern
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.--Will Rogers

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:03 pm

Thanks Rudi.... you are so wise. If I was wise I would not have spent the last hour pulling the cotter pins on the drawbar, only to find the pins welded in! I guess you need to take the belly mower and everything out to get the drawbar off!? Teach me to look at the parts book first. Guess I will clean and paint under there after I get the rear wheels on, cause the jack stands are under the mower cross piece.

I was in Cherryfield last fall, did some 'boondocking' in my truck camper after staying at Camden SP and a wedding in York. I have spent a lot of time in Maine, but very little on the coast. Was even snowmobiling in Millenocket last weekend. Also know a Burnham down here from Maine (is the world shrinking??)

I understand the Blue Hill connection from a woman who was researching the Ingalls line. Her husband (Ingalls) was from Blue Hill and is a Prof at UMaine. I think Rufus may be related to Issac Ingalls Stevens (How many Ingalls can be from Andover, MA in the early 1800's??) Stevens was the first territorial Governor of Wash, a Topographer that did costal surveying and surveyed the route of the Northern Pacific RR (while he was gov.). His wife was from Newport and he is buried 2 miles from my house. Both he and his son were generals in the Civil War. Not my favorite as he was pretty unfair to the Indians out west. His son, Hazard, was supposed to be the first white man to climb Mt Ranier.

I think Oregon and Gunnison and the Mormons were the most interesting parts of Rufus' history. But is it amazing how it all ties together sometimes.

Funny, but I did not care much for history when I was your students age. I liked it a lot when I decided to go to college 12 years later.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Roger Tate
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Roger Tate » Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:15 pm

Ralph...Beautiful work! Is there any special paint you fellas use? My 48 is in pretty nice shape but I'm quite sure I'll do a makeover when I finish my 51 Chevy pickup streetrod. The truck will be retro(flat black w/ red wheels) so it should look good trailering my little red cub. My wife loves the idea.....Thank you Lord!
Anyway, I look forward to seeing your finished project....roger

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vern Campbell » Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:06 pm

Larry, I find that most high school students don't have a burning desire to study history. That's why finding a person they identify with makes it more real and less like dusty old textbook names and dates. I also have my students do oral interviews with elderly residents, local veterans and family members. Kinda puts a face on history. If you are going to be up this way again this summer and want to check out coastal Maine from a sailboat let me know. I sail in Frenchman's Bay, and MDI and Bar Harbor are a short sail away.
Vern
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.--Will Rogers

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:14 am

We may have lost Ralph... seems we drifted a bit off topic. I have been using IH rattle cans on my yeller one. But I did buy PPG Delstar for the white parts that are being done by someone else.
Rudi's site has the color codes for serveral mfg's , click his WWW button on the bottom of his post above for that and WAY MORE!

Vern, I would love to see that part of Maine from the water. But, I better have a job by summer or I will be mowing with the Cub for income. I have a tentative plan to go to PEI so I will have a good excuse to talk Cubs with Rudi and see that bridge from NB to PEI. I did race committee for about 10 years every Tuesday with 3 or 4 one design classes here. I spend most weekends cutting trails and such up north, so it is tough to get much else in during the summer.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Roger Tate
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Roger Tate » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:20 am

Thanks B.W..........

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:02 am

Why "My Mouth Dun Hit The Pavement" :o Ralph...What a Pretty Cub 8) ...and Your SPEED...for a "Son From The South" you are QUICKER than a Freshly Flushed Quail :roll: ! I don't know how you manage to do it all Ralph! a SUPER JOB (as usual)...CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT ALL :wink: !
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:20 am

:D The color changed and somebody else is driving it!

[img][img]http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL758/2886648/5823280/86663708.jpg[/img][/img]
Always try the easiest thing first.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Feb 24, 2005 12:24 pm

Looks GREAT Brent :!: :!: 8)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Feb 24, 2005 1:51 pm

Looks great! I am being left in the dust! Guess I better get busy....

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Thu Feb 24, 2005 3:11 pm

HOLY SMOKE Brent...Ya done tore offin' the underslung exhaust and went and put a "vertical silver stack" on her :D !!! LOOKS GREAT Buddy :wink: !

Hey Buzzard Wing... Your's is NEXT IN LINE :oops: ...BETTER GIT-R-DONE Son :shock: !
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:24 pm

Larry:

Talkin Cubs and BBQ sounds like a good plan!

Unfortunately, both Ellie and Granny are going to stay in their current clothes for now. Jethro I think will be the first project as I need both the tractors running. He is in pieces, so he gets the honours I guess.

The docs said on Wednesday that I can go play in the shop, so I am gearing up to have Jethro's mill on the engine stand sometime next week. My father-in-law apparently bought himself a shop crane (yeah :!: :lol: ) and has offered to help me get the engine mounted. Time to start playin a bit I think!

Ralph, again, it really looks some POSH :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vern Campbell » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:50 am

Rudi, that's great news on your doctor's visit! :D :D :D :D I'm so glad that your recovery is going well. I imagine that Jethro is going to be happy with the attention. :)

New projects are coming out of the woodwork for me. It looks like I got the Super A. And this afternoon a woman called who saw me plowing the yard on the Cub. It seems her late husband had a Farmall 100 that is just sitting and she wondered if I would be interested in buying it. She says it's not very pretty, but runs. Two issues here: I've got to find out what a Farmall 100 is :oops: , and how will explain it to Bev if TWO new tractors show up instead of the one she is expecting!

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218

Postby Paul B » Fri Feb 25, 2005 9:29 am

The "letter series" Farmall's, (A, B, C, H, M and the Super versions) were replaced with the "100 series" ( 100/130/140, 200, 300, 400, 350, 450 etc) and the 100 (which became the 130 which became the 140) is the replacment for the Super A. Same basic tractor as your Super A, but with newer clothes.

Return to “Farmall Cub”