This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

moving the disk plow

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

moving the disk plow

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:43 pm

The wind has been blowing for the last few days so the ground had dried some, and it got up to 72 degrees today, so I decide to bring my rear mount disk plow up to the house from the fence row where it has set the last 2 or 3 years to get ready to paint it. Sure do love that crane I mounted on the trailer, though it was a pretty good load for it. The weighted rear wheel was so heavy that it rolled the plow over sideways in the chains and left the wheel hanging flat.

I decide to go ahead and start taking it apart. The Kroil was down at the shed and I didn't bother to get it, but even though the square head 5/8 bolts and nuts had been out in the weather for 40 or 50 years, they came off fairly easy. All it took was me standing on the end of a 42 inch pipe wrench. :lol: here's what it looked like about an hour later. Unfortunately, I'll probably hurt for 2 or 3 days.

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:05 pm

John. Looks like the crane worked out real well for you on this job. Do you plan on using the disc this spring in the garden? By the looks of it, you'll be sore for another 2 - 3 days putting it on the cub ........ :shock:
Ron

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:24 pm

Doing much walking is still pretty much of a problem, so I don't know if I'll garden this year or just use it to plow neighbrs gardens. Using the crane for support reassembling won't be to bad, and will be spread over a couple days. Mounting it is time consuming (usually about half an hour) , but not too difficult. the trick is to block it level when you disconnect. The difficult part is that you have to straddle the arms while backing up. You only have about an inch varieation on either side and have to back until it's under the front of the floor pan.

Here it is mounted.

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04664
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub

Postby Vern Campbell » Mon Feb 21, 2005 6:00 am

Holy cow, John! I didn't appreciate how big that plow is (especially that weighted wheel) until I saw the picture with it mounted. That crane is really slick. 8) I'm fixing up a trailer for my Cub--maybe I should add a crane. Now, I'm just a guy who grew up on the Maine coast, so I'm going to ask a dumb question. What is the purpose of the big weighted wheel? :oops: That looks like a lot more serious piece of equipment than my Cub plow.
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.--Will Rogers

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:42 am

John,
The bearing arrived in good shape I trust.

Best,
Mike

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:04 am

Mike, it hasn't arrived yet, but usps is a little slow into this area, and assuming you sent it regular not priority it may take 1 to 2 weeks, plus today is a holiday.

Vern, the rear wheel serves to hold it in the furrow and also has linkage that hooks to the right front wheel of the cub and helps steer the plow. I estimate the entire unit weighs in the area of 500 to 700 pounds, sure wouldn't want it to fall on my foot. I occasionally use it to clean my road ditches. was doing that one day when it caught on something it couldn't roll over (very unusual), and before I got the clutch all the way down I had a front wheel about 6 inches off the ground. Really got my attention. A disk plow is great for new ground with roots or rocks, since it will normally either cut or rolll over them rather than snagging. It does have a disadvantge in that in sod it turns it very rough, sometimes turning a full 360 degrees.

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vern Campbell » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:25 am

Thanks for the explanation, John. Maybe I should look for a disc plow; it seems that the best thing I raise here in Maine is rocks! :) Roots are a close second.
That's some pretty countryside in your first pictures.
Vern
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of 'em have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.--Will Rogers

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:35 pm

Thanks, we really like it here. We are on the side of a valley and have a view of about 1 1/2 to 2 miles to the north, and about a mile and half east and west.

The rear mount plows such s mine are apparently rare in my area. The most common ones are belly mount, and are a favorite for gardens due to the compact size of the rig. My plow and tractor together are slightly over 12 feet long. I've never compared the 2 types, but have been told the belly mount ones have a little more tendancy to push you sideways. If you can make it to Cubarama this Sep. I plan to have it there. Haven't made up my mind what I'm going to take to Red Power yet. I'm negotiating for a Cadet with loader, so it could be a hard decision.

Vern Campbell
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Vern Campbell » Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:33 am

That's what I love about your part of the country and also the northern plains--there are places where it seems like you can see forever. At least it does to us Mainers. Between hills and trees, I'm lucky if I can see 1/4 of a mile. You have to go to Aroostook County, our potato country, or look across the ocean to see very far. I wish I could go to Red Power, but I have almost convinced the better half that trips to Cubfest and Cubarama would be fun for her too. So I hope to see you there. A 12' long cub/plow setup should be easy to find! :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”