This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sandblasting Cabnet

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Sandblasting Cabnet

Postby Maritimer » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:46 pm

Hi Y'all,
has anyone ever atempted to make there own blasting cabnet?
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:58 pm

I have seen instructions on the net of how to build one. BUT for the cost of $80 it was easier for me to buy mine.
Then came Bronson

Maritimer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Maritimer » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:19 pm

Holy, it must have been used was it? I've seen them here for $500.00. This is new though.
My dad once told me if it wasn't for bad luck......I wouldn't have any luck at all......

David C
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47141
Tractors Owned: 1949 Farmall Cub, 1970 135 Massey Ferguson, 1970 175 Massey Ferguson, 1964 Cub Cadet Model 70. 1977 Farmall 140 (Granpa's)

Postby David C » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:30 pm

I'm looking at a new one now @ a local farm store for $299

David C.
I may be old but I got to see all the cool bands

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:36 pm

Maritimer wrote:Holy, it must have been used was it? I've seen them here for $500.00. This is new though.

Maritimer:, Heres the one I bought a couple years ago. There even down to $69.99 now. Check it out.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=45411
Then came Bronson

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby farmallcub49 » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:14 pm

I don't want to insult anyone, but whatever you do buy bigger than your current needs. Also buy one with a dust collector (collected a five gallon bucket in under 24 hrs), you only get one set of lungs! Below is a link to our blasting cabinet. It took us a while to swallow the cost of 1300 bucks, but boy it beats blasting out in the middle of a MN winter, having the blaster or air hose constantly freezing up. It is too small already and I have to add six feet to one of the side doors to get a model TT axle and the bed straps.

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=5376966&uid=2547102&members=1
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:49 am

I'll SECOND what farmallcub49 said, just like building a garage or machine shed. BIGGER, BIGGER, BIGGER !!!!!!

ALSO, along with good filtering sytems some kind of line dryer is good too, especailly if you have high humidity as we do here in the mid-west, right on the banks of the Mississippi river. I have a Rankinson (?sp) refrigerated air dryer, that works beautifully. The cabinet I built for myself was from and old CNC machine control cabinet that we took out of service at work. Me being the JUNK collector, that I am. I was asked first if I had any use for it. I told the boss that I had the "perfect" use for it, lol !!!

I am going to build the filtering/recycling collector from the sample of the one at work (but smaller) The dust goes into one chamber and the media then goes to the bottom of the unit and then from there it's picked back up and reused. Works really neat, absolutly no dust what so ever. The cabinet itself, has no media in the bottom, it's all held in the collector.

I was able to get my whole hood/tank from off the Cub into it. We don't use sand, but a plastic type media, that doesn't cause warpeage and so on. But that stuff runs around 400 bucks for a 80 pound bag, OUCH! on mine, I will use silica-sand.

John Niekamp
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:06 am

John wrote:
I have a Rankinson (?sp) refrigerated air dryer, that works beautifully

Just to beat a dead horse: http://www.dielectrictechnologies.com/
Dielectric has been providing air drying products for years. I'm sure you've seen a small refrigerator sized unit at the bottom of power poles, these supply dry air to the phone lines.

Sorry I couldn't help myself :lol: :lol: 8)

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:17 am

When I need a big item blasted I take it to the local headstone maker. His blast cabinet is about 10`X12`X10` and he stands outside of it and does all the blasting by remote looking through a window. His compressor is as big as my ¾-ton pickup.
Then came Bronson

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:40 am

Maritimer, I made my own out of some scrap plywood and angle iron. I did buy a piece of safety glass to look through, and a couple ceiling light recessed rings to attach the gloves to. I found a couple pop-up camper latches to hold the lid down, and I mounted a double tube light inside on the top. The wood works fine. I've used this for years and the wood on the inside will outlast me. It has a pvc cap on the very bottom in case I want to change sand. I had fun building it too. I planned on painting it Red, but started another project and have been doing other projects ever since :D
Here's a quick pic
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Feb 16, 2005 1:25 pm

Yes Sir, Donny I know what you are refering to. I never thought about it however, but maybe find one that is being taken out of service. I would guess they get some many hours on them and they automatically replace/upgrade them.

Mine was brand new, but damaged in shipment, so I got it for free, from Quincy Compressor. I didn't use it on my first tractor, (wish I did) but I used it on the Cub, works really nice, I might add.

Dielectric. that's just a kewl name, :lol: We have a company (or did) a few miles away in Palmyra Mo. with the same name, that makes antennas or something to that affect. I can't remember if they are still in business or not.

I also saw here on the fourm of a "home brew" dryer that would work good too and a WHOLE lot less money.

John
Machinist
1954 Regular F-Cub "PRB" (Puckett's Rust Bucket)
1955 International Cub LoBoy "SQUATTY"
1954 3800 series Chevrolet flat bed grain truck "Ole Ben"
1975 Case 1737 skid-steer

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:56 pm

John,

The company in Palmyra was the antenna division of Harris Corp in Quincy. Dielectric bought the antenna division and operated it for a couple of years before they moved it to Maine 8)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:17 pm

Some clever stuff here! I could have justified the blast cabinet earlier in the project, but now I am far too close to the end, even for the $70 one. Tough to stuff anything else in the garage at this point!

JN.... I looked at your web site a while back... I used to service CNC VMC's way back when they were made in the USA. Fun job!

I think Dielectric corp makes broadcast antennas and is right around the corner from where my cub is going in Maine. I know they are in Bridgeton and think they are also in Raymond.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Tom Evans
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49032

Postby Tom Evans » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:29 pm

I made mine about 10 years ago out of aluminum road signs I got for free at the county garage and 1" angle iron. I used a piece of flat automotive glass and purchased the gloves and pick-up tube from TIP. I mounted a floodlight inside and a filter which I hook my shop vac up to. The bottom has a hinged trap door for removing the media when it's spent. It works very well and it's a very satisfying process to see years of paint and rust removed in minutes.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:41 pm

Tom Evans wrote:I mounted a floodlight inside and a filter which I hook my shop vac up to.

Must be the filter that saves your vacuum or maybe grit wont hurt a shop vacuum. When I bought glass beads at the auto-store the guy there told me not to hook a vacuum cleaner to the blaster cause he said when he did the mmedia burned up his vac motor in less than a minute.
Then came Bronson

Return to “Farmall Cub”