This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Pto adapter

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ibrakeforrust
10+ Years
10+ Years

Pto adapter

Postby ibrakeforrust » Mon Feb 14, 2005 9:09 pm

I seem to remember a PTO adapter that converts the Cub rotation to a standard rotation direction. I have an old terracer that must be turned in the direction opposite of the Cub to throw the dirt away from the plow. Does anyone have experience using a PTO adapter on the Cub?
thanks, Gerry

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:25 pm

They are about the same price as a restored cub if you can find them. All the teraccers I've ever seen required a lot more horsepower than a cub can provide.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:49 am

Jerry. Don't forget, if you use the kind that reverses the rotation and reduces the speed, the power developed is increased. I did the same thing on my backhoe tractor. Woods required 30 HP to run the backhoe. I used a 12 tooth spocket on the pto and a 36 tooth on the lower jack shaft. It cut the speed by 1/3 and the power that increased is plenty to run the backhoe. My only problem was, I had to make a jack shaft that extended out the front under the Cub seat platform to install the backhoe pump. That gave me the correct rotation for the Auburn pump. That setup won't help you though. :(
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18972
eBay ID: ohawiseguyeh

Postby awander » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:54 am

One small correction-the POWER is not incresed. The TORQUE is increased. Power is proportional to torque multiplied by speed, so as you reduce the speed9through gearing, NOT by turning down the engine speed!) you will get the same amount of power(minus whatever is lost in the reduction gearing, but more torque.

I know that's what you meant.

Does anyone know where the Hub City brochures that I remember seeing are located? They had the PTO adapters listed, IIRC.
Andy Wander
UBE, PA
'52 Farmall Cub "Wile E."
'72 Int'l Cub "Bugs Backhoe"
"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:01 am

Andy - the pto adapters from Hub City are no longer in production. At least as I understand it. The brochure that was posted was an older one.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby awander » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:10 am

Thanks, BD. I figured they were not still in production, but there is one on ebat right now, and I wanted to see oif i could find the specs on it. It turns out it is a direction-changer only(made for a Kubota, but the listing says that it may be useable on a Cub alo.

I found the Hub City page I was thinking of inan old post from George WIller, IIRC.
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

"Men are from Earth; Women are from Earth. Deal with it!" (attributed to George Carlin)

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:15 am

Yikes. This is one topic that leaves me scratching my head over and over. My simple mind just can't absorb all this enginering paperwork. If we had a GIANT CURTAIN with several cubs lined up behind that curtain with only their PTO shafts sticking through, I find it hard to believe that my backhoe cub's pto would measure the same power or HP as a regular cub and not be bumped up because of the gearing. I'm talking actual HP felt at the end of the PTO shaft. I guess to satisfy my mind, I'll have to figure a way to do this at one of the shows. I'm the type of person who doesn't listen to what a person says, but what they do. Woods stated the required HP(30-35hp) needed and if the cub still has only 9 or so, why is this thing even working? This is a very good topic and I hope someone can break through my hard head :D :D Thanks, Rick
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby awander » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:28 am

Power is "how fast you do the work". Torque is "how hard it turns", or "how much work you are doing".

If simply reducing the speed through gearing gave you more power, you would have the answer to the world's energy needs. :)

I know that it is difficult to grasp, but that is because what most people think of as power, is not the same as the "real" or scientific definition of power. Most of us think that something that pushes really hard, for instance, is very powerful, but that's not the case. It is only "very strong". If it pushes really hard, really fast, THEN it is very powerful.
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Power

Postby allenlook » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:16 am

Sounds like the difference between amps and volts to me. :shock:
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby awander » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:25 am

Actually. more like the difference between Volts(how hard you push-torque or force) and Watts(power).

Amps is kinda like the (how far did it go) in the analogy.
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

allenlook
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 12020

Right

Postby allenlook » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:27 am

Right, so my understanding of both is about equal :D :shock:
Searchable Cub Parts Database and Manual Galleries at www.farmallcub.info - Computerized Carving at www.bitcarving.com

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:39 am

OK Andy. I want to build something to measure the (not sure anymore :roll: ) HP, torque, power, rpms, at the pto shaft on just cubs. Do you have any ideas on what parts I'll need to acquire and how to differenciate between the different measurements? I plan on posting this on the WANTED forum to start getting all possible ideas. I think this will be a plus attraction at all the Cub shows, maybe :D Thanks in advance for any information, Rick

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby awander » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:39 am

Allen:

LOL!

BTW, I am looking into a way to make a PTO adapter that will reverse the rotation and divide the RPM by 3 in order to work with standard 3-pt options. The main reason I want to do this is that I can get a 3-pt log-splitter for a lot les than one woith an engine(plus, i think it will be fun to try.

Does anyone know how far and in what directions(for instance, x" to the right, and y" down) the pto shaft on a Cub would have to be moved to get it to the correct spot for use with 3-pt implements?
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:43 am

Andy, I'll post some pics later today(the same pics I've been promising JN) on the gears I located from Boston Gear. I have the parts ready to make one, not the time. Later this evening I'll put them on here. Rick

awander
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby awander » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:50 am

Well RPM is pretty simple, you need a tach. Since the cub pto turns at engine speed, you can use any tach that will work on a 4-cyl 6V ignition system, or a mechanincal one if that is easier. There are some that are made for measuring machine tool spindles, that can be bought cheap on ebay-the last one I saw went for anbout 10 dollars0they are old tech, in that there isa timer inthem that counts revs for (I think) 30 seconds,and displays the result. The input shaft has a rubber tip that you press against the dimple in the end of the shaft to be measured, then you press the start buttomn. it counts, when it's done read the results.

Torque is not as easy-typically you will need a specialized piece of equipment to do this. There are instruments that do this, but i don't know much about them except for your typical torque wrench-not advisable to connect that to a running pto!

Horsepower is usually measured with another specialized instrument called a dynamometer(dyno for short). The dyno actually does NOT measure hp, but rather measures torque and RPM, and calculates the hp. These can be bought, or built, but I am not very knowledgeable about how to do so.

check out this link:

http://www.revsearch.com/dynamometer/torque_vs_horsepower.html
Andy Wander

UBE, PA

Return to “Farmall Cub”