This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Bolts, and nuts.... anyone find a decent way to clean em?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:53 am

The good advise keeps on coming!

I should put a brass wheel on the other side of the old B&D (dims the lights on start up) as the stone is on the edge of worthless anyway. I think I can get away with steel for now. I quit using it for a couple of days because I had recently painted and wanted to keep the dust and grit down in the garage.

Have one of the 'drill presses' where you put a regular elecltric drill in it and have used it on some parts with various wire wheels for other stuff. That may be a good way to do some of the fastners too.

The radiator listed several lengths in the parts manual as I recall. I bought stainless for that. Some are through the supports and some are through the drilled plates. That may account for the difference in length?

Fired up the auxiliary Electro tank (brake pedal stop nut in there now) with a small container and one piece of rebar. I can use that for various bolts. An interesting note or question. I bought some new rebar and the difference is incredible! Cooking like crazy now. I found that a daily scrubbing with a wire brush improves 'performance' but this is like night and day. I suppose the old ones are not 'dead' but need a good surface cleaning. Should I give them a clean up with a wire wheel or are they just too tired to work? I thought that you could use them till they disappeared?

Sure is nice to have so many great minds converging!

Thanks.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:05 am

BW:

To me the best method is to use the tank - ifn you have a spare 5 gallon bucket, a basket and some short pieces of rebar, then you have it all!

Fired up the auxiliary Electro tank (brake pedal stop nut in there now) with a small container and one piece of rebar. I can use that for various bolts.

Seems you have that well in hand :lol:

An interesting note or question. I bought some new rebar and the difference is incredible! Cooking like crazy now. I found that a daily scrubbing with a wire brush improves 'performance' but this is like night and day. I suppose the old ones are not 'dead' but need a good surface cleaning. Should I give them a clean up with a wire wheel or are they just too tired to work? I thought that you could use them till they disappeared?

Yup, new rebar works like crazy and will until it gets it's new coat of gunk. A wire brush cleaning daily by hand is useful to a degree, but it is often difficult to remove all of the scale. This leads to a less effective electrode. A far superior method that I have found, although it can get a little messy from the scale flying around, is to use my 4-1/2" grinder with a twisted wire cup brush. This takes the scale almost off completely with only just a tiny bit that may remain. When the rebar is re-inserted and connected, it acts just as if it were new.

As for duration of usefulness - well, when properly cleaned, there is no reason the rebar cannot be re-used until it is just a short nub barely sticking out of you little 5 gallon bucket - after it has been used in the 45 gallon one that is :!: :idea: :roll: :lol:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:58 pm

:lol: Just came up with a new trick. I was putting the lower radiator tube back on the block grabbed the bolts oops filthy. :idea: put the head of the bolt in the vice and used the wire wheel on the cordless drill :shock: Wow no brushed fingers. 50 deg. here in michigan nice to work on the cub without a jacket. :D
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:06 pm

someone's got to try that tumber. might be just the ticket after a drop in the electro- tank...
i have used an old french fry basket like they have in Mickey D's, (i don't eat there - heart won't take it!) in the sand blaster cabinet, and that works with some flipping.

but don't you just hate it when you get things humming along on the re-assembly and...hmmmmm.. where's those bolts......#6**@ still in a greasy coffee can.. :lol:

we were doing some blasting outside last saturday on some large parts and i rolled out a W4 rear rim that did not go through the electro-tank....

it was REJECTED by the blaster technician (son Dave) :lol: :lol:
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:08 pm

Cowboy, we have 65 degrees and bright sunshine here in central Ohio this afternoon. Calling for highs in the upper 20' & lower 30's by the end of the week though. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

cowboy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49229

Postby cowboy » Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:02 pm

Thanks Bigdog, might end up with heatstroke if it was that warm here :{_}:
Take care of your equipment and it will take care of you. 1964 cub. Farmall 100 and 130.

"Those that say it can’t be done should not interrupt the ones who are doing it.”

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:00 pm

Buzzard, I throw them in the dip basket I bought at an auction for a $1 the blasting media falls right through it. Image Hey Bigdog I just returned from Phonix It was 78 there yesterday when we left . But it was 45 when we flew into Indy . Today I have been outside for most of the day getting ready for the major snow event on Saturday. Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:57 pm

Warm weather ending here today... But for my cub project I installed a used LP furnace in the garage. Bit expensive to run, but heats the place up in 3 minutes!

Thanks Rudi.... just as I suspected! I didn't throw out the old rebar (smarter than I look, or is it cheaper than I look??) The battery box is coming along nicely in the big tank. Cooking up a storm!!! Second brake pedal stop nut is almost done. Seat post bolts next??

If I ask around I should be able to find someone with a sandblast cabinet. Probably find one after the Cub is ready to rock!

I forgot to look for a tumbler when I was out and about.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”