This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Power

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
63cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Power

Postby 63cub » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:46 pm

there is supthin wrong with my cub she will start easy and has about 38 pounds of oil pressure and every thing is in good workin order but when I go to start out in 1st it will bog down and finally catch up and in second it will miss and catch up and third I have to be on a flat ground or it will die when I start out and it just acts like it has no power today I put my 22 mower on her first time it had been on it since I redone it and I cut the pto on and put in 1st and tried to take off and it missed and bogged down and finally cought up and it mowed like a champ but it puzzles me that it boggs down we put new plugs plug wires new carb new points and everything seems to be right but I really need youns help on this if you all will

Thanks David :?: :?: :?: :?:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Feb 10, 2005 11:52 pm

Sounds like a fuel supply problem. Check the fuel flow to the carb. If ok then check the main jet in the carb, this is the 3/8 hex on the side of the carb. Remove it and make sure the small hole in the end is clear and free of debris. Also check the screen at the fuel inlet on the carb, sometimes this clogs and restricts flow.

Hope this helps 8)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:01 am

Could also be governor not responding. Run the engine up to high idle and cut the ignition off while watching the linkage fromt eh governor to the carburetor. As soon as you cut the ignition, the throttle should push wide open. If it doesn't, check for binding in the linkage.

63cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

power

Postby 63cub » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:32 pm

well what I dont get is that the old carb I had on it didnt have hardly any power and the new carb I put on it it has more than the old one but still not enough I think I agree its a fuel supply

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:31 pm

Check your timing too.

Best,
Mike

Spark
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Spark » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:23 pm

Hi: This is my first post on this forum and I hope that it gets sent to the right place!

I don't think that it's a fuel line problem because you came right up to full power after boging down and even had power to mow with.
I'll go with Jim and say that it is the governor not responding quick enough. Your new carb probably needs full throttle and idle adjusting and the linkage to the governor is either sticking or needs to be adjusted to the new carb. If you have a shop manual it will guide you thru the proper steps. If you replaced an IH carb with a Zenith you will have to make governor linkage adjustments.

Good luck with it!
Ron
Experience is something that you don't get until just after you need it.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:09 pm

Couple things to check on the governor or the rod going to the catb dragging on the side of the engien or the air hose, especially if the carb has been replacec. 2nd thing is where the shaft that goes across the front of the engien enters the fitting at the governor. Becoming worn there and leaving play in the linkage causes poor governor responce. if that's the problem, either a soda can shim or some Loctite helps.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”