This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New Farmall gas cap

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

New Farmall gas cap

Postby John Niekamp » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:12 am

Hi folks,

I was just noticing this gas cap on eBay. It says "NEW" but it's not like the free ones we all got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 50227&rd=1

I am wondering is this style also a safety gas cap or not. I would like had have one, but only if it's a safety cap. It has some kind of sticker on the top of it, but I can't make out what it reads.

Anyone have any thoughts?

John Niekamp

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:20 am

I haven't checked i sometiem, but those used to be availble form auto parts stores such as NAPA, etc. They are NOT safety caps.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:31 am

I agree with John :wink: ...I've seen these up close, and, although they certainly look nice with all that chrome...they are NOT VENTED. :shock:

I check my original cub gas cap periodically, to make sure the vent ports are clear and not blocked :D . So far, I've not had any problems with either spilling over, or inside tank pressure from poor venting. :D I did make a NEW gasket for it, so that solved a FORMER spilling problem! :wink:
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Bermuda Ken
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 53536
Tractors Owned: Tractors owned past/present:

Farmall.....F-1206, F-806 sn#501.

Cub Cadet...Original(s), 122, Spirit of 76, 1200, 1250, 1450, 782, 782 Diesel (2), 984, 982, CADET 000 LT Prototype.

Postby Bermuda Ken » Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:10 pm

The cap listed on ebay is not a safety cap. I wouldn't put that on any of my tractors or even a scrapped out unit.
Cub Cadets....Engineered for people who know better!

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:57 pm

'Country' Elliott wrote:I agree with John :wink: ...I've seen these up close, and, although they certainly look nice with all that chrome...they are NOT VENTED. :shock:

I check my original cub gas cap periodically, to make sure the vent ports are clear and not blocked :D . So far, I've not had any problems with either spilling over, or inside tank pressure from poor venting. :D I did make a NEW gasket for it, so that solved a FORMER spilling problem! :wink:

I guess I wasn't aware that the original ones were vented. I didn't have an origianl one when I got my tractor. I would like to find one or something besides the FREE replacement design. However, one really can't complain about the looks of the new ones for what they cost us.

If not, I will just take the safety aspect, over appeal any day.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:24 pm

John:

There is a reason why IH/Navistar is providing the Free Gas Cap. There have been too many deaths attributed to fires caused by the previous design.

Get the new one, don't take any chances. If you can find one of the originals - make sure that the vent holes are clear, the gasket is well made and formed to prevent spillage AND ONLY USE IT FOR SHOWS :!: Use the Freebie for everyday use. I do and I have NO regrets.

Besides, Em would probably have my head if I took chances with my original gas cap. I keep it in the shop and will put it on at shows only.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Larry in CO
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Larry in CO » Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:47 pm

I've got one of the short original gas caps for the Cub and one of the original tall caps for my H that I don't even use for shows. They just aren't safe so they stay on the shelf in the garage. Most of the shows I go to, everyone uses the new black ones. Nobody seems to care that they aren't original. My .02 cents worth. Larry

Return to “Farmall Cub”