This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

carb

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
63cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

carb

Postby 63cub » Tue Jan 25, 2005 4:36 pm

tell me about zenith carbs just recently put one on my cub it works great but i would like to know more about it

thanks

PICS

http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/gall ... at=tphotos

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 25, 2005 5:46 pm

David:

The GSS-1411 which can be found on the Cub Manual Server under Blue Ribbon Service Manuals, will give you a lot of the technical stuff on the Zenith Carb. The TC-37F Parts Manual will show you how it all goes together which is especially good when it comes time to overhaul your carb is also a good source of info.

As for pros and cons or other anecdotal info, I have yet to be able to find anything in numerous searches on the net. At least on the Cub version of the Zenith.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

mbrowne
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mbrowne » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:24 am

Hi,

When you put on the new Zenith, did you have to open up the manifold hole? Also, do you have pictures of how you rigged the linkage: throttle and governor?

Malcolm Browne
713-962-5214

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:32 am

When you put on the new Zenith, did you have to open up the manifold hole

You don't need to change anything about the original manifold, however there is a manifold available to match the Zenith and the hole looks to be just a smiggin larger. I was just studying that 2 days ago.

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:48 am

I just doubled up the gaskets for my zenith

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:59 am

Here's a short and sweet synopsis of the Zenith carburetor:

The Zenith updraft series 68 is made of cast aluminum. It is used as original equipment or replacement carburation for engines in the 25-170 CID range and has been in production for over 45 years. Because it is a universal design, it comes in hundreds of configurations to adapt to each specific application (such as manifold flange, throttle bore, jet size, venturi size, etc.) and may have specific features for automotive engines not needed for agricultural or industrial applications.

Because of the configurations available, be leery of used Zeniths unless the seller will guarantee the carburetor came off the machine he is claiming it fits. The mods prevent you from grabbing a Zenith series 68 off a Gravely and mounting it on your Cub unless you're willing to swap out or adapt the parts that will make it fit AND run like it should. To add to the confusion, Zenith uses sequential numbers to identify part sizes without regard to measure, thus #7 throttle bore is 7/8", but a #7 flange is 2 1/4" mounting hole spacing. The same sequential numbering system applies to calibrated fittings such as jets, air bleeds and discharge nozzles. But the venturi is measured in millimeters so a #17 venturi is actually 17 mm. You may acquire a Zenith the fits the manifold but has components that are not designed for peak performance on a Cub engine.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

I have a question.....

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:20 am

On the older Ford and Chevy six cylinder engines, they had a carburetor that if I remember correctly, was similar in size to the IH carburetor. In specific, the carburetor for a 135 CID, 170 CID Ford engine, and the 235 CID Chevy engine that was so good and popular. Has anyone ever tired any of these carbs to see if they would fit? It would be interesting if they did fit because it would open the door for more parts availability. Just wondering.

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:42 pm

Automotive carburetors don't work very well with governed, low rpm engines - the air flow is too low for efficient operation.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:20 pm

All the old cars I worked on were down draft carbs. A cub is up draft.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Mar 18, 2005 1:22 pm

Never had any dealings with the older Ford carbs, but I thought I remembered the 235 Chevy being a downdraft.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:23 pm

The Model T and 4 cylinder Model A Fords were updraft. I'm sure there are others, but most automotive carburetors are down or side draft. One could be converted for use on a Cub but it really seems like a lot of trouble since Zenith still makes a suitable carburetor that bolts right up.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:14 pm

Ok I said old but I didn't think about that old. I was in the 1936 Ford and Chevey, Plymouth range.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”