This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

something lurking in the transmission

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

something lurking in the transmission

Postby Steve Butram » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:45 pm

Look what I found in the transmission while I was degreasing Image I inspected all the gears and Can't find where it came from I suspect that the gear that the tooth came from was replaced. I will be completely dissembling the transmission to replace the bearings and do some more inspection. Who knows may find a ball bearing or two. Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:05 pm

Steve, the first time I drained my H tranny oil bits and pieces of a whole bearing cage came out. Needless to say what I thought. After tear down and thorough inspection I couldn't find anything wrong. I guess you never know whats in a tractor's past.

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 restored
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:27 am

Yes I know what you mean I have found alot of wear issues in this tractor so I would guess that it has had a busy lifetime. While I was in the differential I decided to inspect the PTO and found the splines ,shift coller and the main drive shaft had excassive wear and will be replaced. I guess she was a real hard working machine. Also the crankshaft thrust was out of spec so it had to be sent out and repaired . The engine ended up .20 over due to wear. I would have hated to see the hours on this unit. But now it will get a new life all freshened up. Steve

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:07 am

If that tooth came off of a gear that is still in the transmission you will hear a regular clicking or knock in one off the gears. If you ran the tractor before and heard no noise the gear has been replaced.

Best,
Mike

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 restored
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:59 pm

Mike I ran the tractor for a few hours before I started the restoration so I assume that the gear was replaced. While inspecting the gears I must have turned the shaft at least 50 revolutions. So I can be reasonably assured that I would have seen the missing tooth. What I don't understand is how it got into the top of the transmission in the oil galley. It was embedded in an area of heavy thick grease. I would have guessed it would have been in the bottom of the case. Steve

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:30 pm

A previous owner of my project had replaced a broken R-1 shifter fork and failed to remove all the loose fragments...I found a big one in exactly the same place. No idea how it got there.

Trash like that can cause serious damage to a gearbox...especially if it gets jammed between gear teeth while the tractor is moving. If that happens, the case is the weakest part...you figure the possibilities. Consider yourself very fortunate.
These cubs never grow up