This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

yellow paint under the red

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub
Circle of Safety: Y

yellow paint under the red

Postby Steve Butram » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:35 pm

while sandblasting on the 1948 project I found some Yellow paint on the final drive castings ,axles and the front wheels Image The castings have a date code of 1 10 R and 1 12 R which would inicate that the final drives were cast in 48. The front wheels were painted solid yellow Image Is it possible that I have a tractor that was built for a utility or city that was spec ordered painted yellow I find it odd for a 48 to have been painted yellow then repainted red . Steve
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:39 pm

IH would paint a tractor whatever color was wanted, and there were a lot of yellow ones sold to cities, counties, parks, etc. Many of them were later painted red by delaers when they were traded in to hide the fact they had been used someplace where they probably weren't well cared for.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 restored
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Mon Jan 24, 2005 7:28 am

So my question is should I repaint Yellow or Red ? Steve

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Mon Jan 24, 2005 8:42 am

Hey Steve...YOUR CHOICE (Yellow OR Red) :? . The YELLOW highway department Cubs are FEW and FAR BETWEEN at shows. If it were MINE :idea: ...I'd match the YELLOW paint and paint it back to it's highway dept. yellow...put a #22 Sickle Bar Mower on her and she'd be pretty much restored to original use :wink: .
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:02 am

Steve,

If I remember right your project tractor is a '48. That's before yellow Cubs were introduced, so if yours was yellow it was a 'special order'. Some of mine had yellow paint on some parts but that was because they were replacement parts from later tractors.

You can answer once and for all by confirming that the casting numbers on your final drives are indeed from '48. Then it will be just a matter of personal choice.

I do remember that your '48 has some obvious later parts that you intend to return to original.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jan 24, 2005 11:49 am

Steve:

If you do decide to paint your tractor "highway dept. yellow", and you get a paint match, can you let me know what the code is so I can put it on the Paint Chart?

Also, as Country said, those tractors would be few and far between. Much like EZ's CN Cub - If I remember correctly, EZ is going to paint and decal his Cub just as it would have been when new to CN.

These "special Cubs" would sure be nice to see at the shows! Really think about painting it "highway dept. yellow".
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:04 pm

if you send me a chip or part I will put it in the color eye and give you a Dupont and Spies Hecker formula
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 restored
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:51 pm

George I went looking for the date codes and found 1 10 R on one casting and 1 12 R on the other. Now that should be 48 or 74 what would the likleyhood that it is a 74 replacement part . I know the hood wasn't original but the touch conrtrol also has the R casting code with yellow paint under it also.Were ther any changes in the castings as the cub line was refined from 1948 untill 74 these castings have the R2 part # was there ever a R3 and R4 castings or was there ever a change in a logo or stamp that would have changed over the production run that would disprove that it isn't original paint. I'm sure that the older yallow cubs didn't have solid yellow painted wheels. The pix i have seen the yellow cubs always had the white wheels.

Todd thanks for the offer on the color match As of now I haven't decided what color it will be painted. But I had already bought the 2150 red paint before I found the yellow.

Steve

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:06 pm

steveb05 wrote:George I went looking for the date codes and found 1 10 R on one casting and 1 12 R on the other. Now that should be 48 or 74 what would the likleyhood that it is a 74 replacement part . I know the hood wasn't original but the touch conrtrol also has the R casting code with yellow paint under it also.Were ther any changes in the castings as the cub line was refined from 1948 untill 74 these castings have the R2 part # was there ever a R3 and R4 castings or was there ever a change in a logo or stamp that would have changed over the production run that would disprove that it isn't original paint. I'm sure that the older yallow cubs didn't have solid yellow painted wheels. The pix i have seen the yellow cubs always had the white wheels.

Todd thanks for the offer on the color match As of now I haven't decided what color it will be painted. But I had already bought the 2150 red paint before I found the yellow.
Steve

Steve,

The '74 final would have to use toggle brake bands. Individual parts of different colors can be explained away, (Scruffy has worn front wheels of several different original colors, and Bud has yellow front hubs), but it's looking like your tractor was indeed originally yellow.

You'll have a personal decision to make on how you paint it. Hint: if is different it will be easier to tell them apart.

George
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 restored
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Mon Jan 24, 2005 2:57 pm

George ,
You are right It has the brake bands not the toggles so it must have been originaly painted yellow. But I still like red . Red truck , Red work truck with a White 75' ladder. But a varified original yellow 48 would be easier to pick out of a crowd. So I will have to ponder my decision for a while before I paint. Thanks, Steve

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Mon Jan 24, 2005 4:21 pm

Steve...
If you decide to paint it yellow, the red paint you already have won't be wasted...you KNOW that you'll get another early Cub someday & you can use it on that! LOL!

You might be able to confirm the yellow paint with the casting dates by checking the part number of your touch control unit. Older ones were 354383, and later ones were 360719 along with all Lowboys. I'm just not sure what year they made the change or which models were affected, so somebody else should offer advice on this...I could be all wrong. The only info that I have to work with is what is in the parts catalog, and it's pretty vague. They don't even give serial numbers. My project '50 has a 354383 unit.
These cubs never grow up

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:23 pm

I have been wanting the same yellow loboy that I seen sweeping snow from sidewalks as long as I can remember. I know the current owner and he doesn't want to sell, no matter how much money. So this fall I bought a loboy that was two days round trip to retrieve it. It was a '58 that is red and white. This was a fresh paint job. As I began using it and redoing little things here and there, I chipped paint off in various areas. Well, low and behold it has federal yellow underneath. Just what I had been looking for! Someday, when I am ready for a repaint it will be yellow again.
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Mon Jan 24, 2005 10:07 pm

My truck is red, my snowmobile is red, even my polarfleece jacket is red.... but my Cub (and my lifejacket) were originally yellow and will stay yellow.
I have grown fond of yellow! The 3 red items and the tractor was like that when I found them..... who I am to change them. But when my friend got a forest service truck in that INS/USFS yuk green he was smart enough to paint it a different color.
With all that said it is a tough call what to make of an early yellow cub. It is even tougher when you have the paint.
Yellow does grow on ya!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Return to “Farmall Cub”