This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

hard starting cold

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
w lacroix
10+ Years
10+ Years

hard starting cold

Postby w lacroix » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:43 pm

I restored my grandfather's 49 cub and now it is hard to start when cold. I can run it until it warms up and then it starts fine once.
Now it leaks oil every where even when it is not running. It will make a puddle over a period of days at the clutch end of the engine. I had the engine rebuilt at a local machine shop. The engine
has less than 20hrs on it.
I need some help.
thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:49 pm

If leak is coming from hand hole cover it is probably transmisison. They are bad to become overfull from condensation and leak out worn seals. It accumulates in the torque tube and the runs out the front when it gets full or tips forward. Also check your engine oil level, if it's getting high your touch control pump may need rebuilt.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Hard Starting

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:34 am

Check the ignition timing, battery conditon and battery terminal connections. Some vehicles and tractors start hard - some just won't start period when it's very cold. I have a can of ether available for when it's very cold.

Oil leaks. You said the engine leaks ever where. There isn't to many places the engine could leak oil. Do a little investigation to determine where the oil is coming from. The front and rear crankshaft seals should have been replaced during the overhaul. Pan and side panel oil leaks are an easy fix. Engine front cover is another problem is the gasket wasn't installed properly during the overhaul.

If you lucky all you might have to do is tighten up a few bolts to stop the leaks on the engine.

w lacroix
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby w lacroix » Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:07 am

I rebuilt the pump when I had tractor apart but that doesn't mean I didn't put it together right. the oil leak is around the flywheel coverand oil pan.
the hard starting problem is when the tractor cold. It doesn't have to be cold outside temperature just when it hasn't used in a while.
thanks.

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Cold Starting

Postby Eugene » Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:20 am

Check to see that the chock is fully closed when trying to start for the first time. Easy fix.

Vacuum leaks. Check the manifold gaskets and the carburator to manifold gasket.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:14 pm

There is a known problem with the rear main oil seal not fitting tight in the retainer and spiining and leaking. There was a change to a slightly larger o.d. seal during production, and the orignal size is no longer available. You can by a new retianer for about $125 or you can bed them in the reatienr using various methods, My 48 which has a seal with a metal case has loctite and I used a punch to stake around it and tighten it. Missy, the 49, has a rubber coated shell on the seal and I used 3M plastic emblem adhesive to bed it. It's only been in a few months, so I don't know how well that particular sealer will hold up to heat and oil over the long term, but so far so good.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

w lacroix
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby w lacroix » Sun Jan 23, 2005 6:53 pm

thanks for all the information.

Return to “Farmall Cub”