This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

more carb problems

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

more carb problems

Postby Todd » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:25 pm

:( Ok her is where i am at. With the idle adjustment screwed all the way in it idles ok. If you hit the gas it dies. If you screw the idle out even 1/2 a turn it dies. If you open the choke half way and leave the idle adjustment all the way in, it runs great. It also drips gass out of the vent on the bottom.

Very confused. If you unscrew the idle adjustment screw it dies so this makes me think it is running too rich ie float level ect. But if thats the case why does it run better with the choke pulled half way?

ps timing is set correctly
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Don McCombs » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:36 pm

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:40 pm

Yeah I looked at that, I think i did everything by the book, not sure the problem
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:21 pm

Todd,

It sounds like you have an air leak some place. If the idle screw is all the way in there's no air getting mixed the way it should, the air is coming form someplace else. Manifold gasket, throttle body gasket, leaking manifold are good places to start.
As for the gas leak. Could be the needle valve and or the needle valve cage is leaking.
8)

'Country' Elliott
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 37774
Tractors Owned: 1948 McCormick-Deering Farmall Cub
152 Disc Plow & Flat Belt Pulley
Brinly #8 Moldboard Plow
1971 JD 112 Garden Tractor
1928 Economy Hit & Miss Engine
1927 David Bradley "Little Wonder" Feed Grinder
1 A.H. Patch Corn Shellers
1 A.H. Patch #1 Grist Mill
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby 'Country' Elliott » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:31 am

Hey Todd...Donny is RIGHT :wink: ! You're getting excess air (might be coming from the carb being warped...a common cause in many of the old carbs). Where the carb bolts onto the manifold, many times they warped from over-tightening, or misuse. See if that's causing your excess air :D .

When you have to increase the choke in order to keep it running...the carb is sucking in air from someplace...more than likely warped at the manifold :wink: .
"Save The Possums...Collect The Whole Set"
"Tennessee Sun-Dried Possum...Heaven In A Can"

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:57 am

i used lurker carls directions for straightening a carb and filed eveything plain. Ill check it out tonight witha little carb cleaner see if i can get it to react

Return to “Farmall Cub”