This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Steering knuckle question.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jeff D. N.E. Wis.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Steering knuckle question.

Postby Jeff D. N.E. Wis. » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:49 pm

In the process of rebuilding our 49 Cub, I am now working on the steering knuckles. I had to replace both the knuckles and the vertical shaft tubes as the old ones were junk. I got good used ones but not in sets. These are the older style with the tapered set screw.

Question: When I put the knuckle into the vertical tube and fastened the steering arm to the top, I get what seems like a lot of vertical free-play on the knuckle. One side is .095 and the other is .050. Is this too much?

The manual says that "Thrust is taken up by machined upper surface of the knuckle and the lower flange of the vertical shaft tube". Both surfaces don't look to be worn much at all. Do I need to try and fit some kind of washers on the knuckle and if so where would be the better place to put them? On the bottom or on the top under the steering knuckle arm.

Thanks in advance for any answers you might have.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Jan 16, 2005 9:54 pm

I assume you are referring to the vertical movement of the shaft. I wouldn't worry about it. When you let the weight of the tractor down on it there won't be any play..
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”