This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

coil

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

coil

Postby Todd » Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:44 pm

Trying to get it started. I have 12vlt to the coil but no spark from the coil wire. Bad coil?
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:12 pm

Not necessarily. The points complete the circuit by forming the timed intermittent ground path...if they're bad, you'll see voltage at both primary terminals on the coil but still get no spark. The condensor is in the same path and can easily be involved as well.

Check it again and turn the engine over slowly by hand. If the points are working, you'll see the coil voltage disappear regularly as they close and reappear when they open. Be sure to disconnect the coil lead to the distributor cap before trying this so the engine won't start. If the voltage at the coil terminals stays steady, check the points & condensor. If it makes & breaks like it should, plug a spark plug into the coil hi voltage lead and ground it...cranking should make it spark. If it does, you probably have a problem with the cap or rotor.

Beware of a bad coil hi voltage lead. It can make you think the coil is bad.
These cubs never grow up

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:12 pm

You gotta collapse the primary windings to generate current flow in the secondary, take a look at the points and condensor, somethings probably wrong there. Bill

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:18 pm

THanks will do, This tractor ran, i just got it painted, last year had new point condensor cap and rotor. but it has sat for a year.
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:19 pm

Todd, you need to check to see if the points are opening and closing.
the coil terminal that goes to the distributor should read zero volts unless the points are open. The easiest way to find out is to pull the distributor cap off and look to see if the points are opening as the distributor shaft turns. If they are, put the voltmeter lead on that coil terminal and crank the motor over by hand to see if the voltage is there intermittantly. It could be that the points are glazed over and not making contact (will have voltage on the coil terminal all the time) or the points are not opening or the condensor has shorted out. If the points and condensor check out OK and you still don't have spark from the coil then it is likely bad.
Another quick check is to take a screwdriver and with the switch on, pry the points open and let them close. Each time you do that the coil should produce a spark.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:21 pm

Dang! I must type slow. There was no response to this post when I started typing mine!
Last edited by Bigdog on Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:26 pm

LOL! You're not slow...we just typed faster!
These cubs never grow up

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:31 pm

ok. here is where i am at

12vlt to the coil. turned the engine over points open and close. when they are closed I get 12 volts to the terminal between the dist and the coil. when they are open its open.

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:35 pm

OK I LOVE you guys!. sanded the points off with a little 600. runs like a top!

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:48 pm

Good job, Todd! I love to hear that a Cub runs great!

I had a friend who had a running engine. He did a tuneup that included no parts replacement...just cleaned the plugs and set the point gap. He used a brand-new feeler gauge, and it still had the factory grease on it...the grease got on the points and kept them from making contact. Three days and 45 dollars later, he finally cleaned the points and it ran beautifully.

And he was a professional mechanic.
These cubs never grow up

Russ Leggitt
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 38655
Tractors Owned: [18] CUBs from 1947 thru 1974; "B" Farmall, [2] John Deere MTs; Ford 600; Ford 4000; and a 1956 IHC S112 Pickup [CUB Hauler]

Postby Russ Leggitt » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:20 pm

Hi Todd & Big Dog,

Looks like another case of varnish on the points. Todd, I put in a new
set of points in one of mine recently and nothing. Double checked everything I could think of, even looked at the "NEW" points and with
Big Dog's and others help I went to checking the circuit at every point
along the route and low and behold the points had what appeared to be
varnish on them. I burnished then and bang, GW fired right up.

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:45 pm

Rebuilt the carb, and fixed the Dist, NOT a bad days work. Just have to print a few sticker and paint a few small parts and I'm done!

Return to “Farmall Cub”