This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Finally got it together (well, almost . . . )

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:09 pm

Paul,

Wow!! That really looks great. This really gives us rattle can users some hope. Hopefully some day I can strip it all down again and make her look like yours. Really nice job.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

hope farmer
10+ Years
10+ Years

Nice Job

Postby hope farmer » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:15 pm

Nice job. Very inspiring.

What paint are you using? Using hardener in the paint? What equipment are you using to apply(HVLP)?
So many tractors, so little time.

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:20 pm

Thanks for the encouraging comments! I'll try to answer your questions.

I was learning everything as I went on this first project. I'll try to mention how I did things this time, but also how I would do them better on the next project.

I'm using a HVLP turbine system that I originally purchased for finishing woodworking projects. It's not a conversion HVLP gun that is used with an air compressor. It is a Wagner Model 2600. It worked very well for spraying auto finishes as well. Turbine systems are portable, don't have the water condensation problems of air compressors, and cost less than $500.

I used rattle can etch primer to hold off rust after cleaning until I had enough parts ready to spray. The paint is catalyzed urethane. OMNI is a lower cost line of PPG paints. It is important to use the same paint system for all of the components.

I used OMNI MP182 as a primer for everything, which the auto paint supplier told me to do. But I learned later it is a primer/surfacer which means it is intended for filling minor scratches in sheet metal via sanding. Next time I will use OMNI MP170, which is an epoxy primer. I used it at the end for the rims and it really puts down a really smooth and impermeable layer. MP 182 is generally used only for sheet metal that needs body work, and should be applied over the MP 170.

The top coat is OMNI MTK-71310 (Farmall red). The MTK and MP182 share the same hardener, MH 166(slower for warmer temps, above 75) or MH 165 (faster for cooler temps, below 75). The wheels are OMNI MAE 3822 A (which is a GM silver).

It is ultra critical to use a supplied air respirator when using hardeners because charcoal masks will not remove the hardener molecules, which are isocyanates and deadly to the respiratory system. I was not told this either by my supplier, but learned this from George Willer and others on this site before I began painting.

Hope this helps a little.

Paul
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Return to “Farmall Cub”