This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Recommendation for new "OEM" battery box

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Recommendation for new "OEM" battery box

Postby ScottyG » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:18 pm

Does anyone have any experience with the flood of aftermarket battery boxes up for sale on E-bay? I'd like one as close to OEM as possible of course but am concerned by the quality that's available since the prices vary widely.

Are they 14gauge steel?
Is there a mounting post for the rear light?
How's the size/fit compared to original?
Any particular sales source that you'd recommend?

Thanks!!
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:22 pm

Originals are still available from Case IH.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:21 pm

You will be taking a gamble on the ones on eBay. I gambled and for $38 I got a real nice complete box on eBay BUT it is mighty flimsy on metal thickness. I am still debating whether I will use it or not. I dont remember who the seller was but if you see a picture of a nicely painted shine`y BLACK complete box on eBay it will likely be the same flimsy one I got.
Then came Bronson

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:24 pm

Wengers sells a repro that is thin and flimsey pricy too.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:11 pm

cubguy47 wrote:peluker is the E-bay seller you spoke of. He does sell the cheaper reproduction battery box kit.

I see a few original boxes sell, but most have pretty significant rust. The CASE/IH boxes are a good quality steel, not flimsy. You get what you pay for basically.

Nope it weren`t no Peluker that I got mine from. The seller I bought from is named Marmaduke. Here is another one he has for sale just like the one I got.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 36024&rd=1

This guy always has a lot of tractor re-pro parts for sale.
Then came Bronson

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:41 pm

Thanks for all of your great advice guys. I'll check out IH/Case to price them out first. How about Joe's Farmall Parts?
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:17 pm

The boxes that OEM sells are the good ones about $100.
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:26 am

The aftermarket ones for sale on Ebay look nice from a distance, but you might as well throw your work light away because the flimsy brkt they spot weld on is worthless. You start your tractor up and the light starts vibrating back and forth and would probably brake off in less than an hour. Mine was purchased from Peluker. I had to drill out the spot welds and fabricate a new brkt like the original, now it's fine. You also have to watch for the tool boxes made. Some are heavy like the originals and some are paper thin.
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:33 am

That was the first thing I noticed that I did not like on My new battery box was the flimsy work light bracket. I also am going to replace it with a heavier guage bracket.
Then came Bronson

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:54 am

Get the originals from CaseIH. The price difference is not that substantial on the US side of the border as it is here in Canada. If the original is too pricey for your wallet, you might save 20 bucks by getting the box from Steiner. Better yet, try http://www.jptractorsalvage.com or http://www.tmtractor.com seeing as they are the board sponsors :!: :idea: :!: :D

My chum Gord has one from Steiner - not bad, but nothing to write home about.

As for the OEM boxes -- not sure, but based on some of the conversations I have with them, also their refusal to ship via USPS means that I WILL NEVER BUY DIDDLEY SQUAT FROM THEM EVER :!: :!:

Questions to ask - what guage steel are the boxes made from? 14 ga, 16 ga or 18 ga. If less than 14 ga - stay away. My boxes are 14 ga and are very close to the original. Same goes for the tool boxes.

Second question. Is the steel sand kote or bare steel?

Third question. What type primer and how many coats?

Best to be informed before bidding.

Yust me opinion mi amigos.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Tue Jan 11, 2005 10:01 am

billyandmillie wrote:The aftermarket ones for sale on Ebay look nice from a distance, but you might as well throw your work light away because the flimsy brkt they spot weld on is worthless. You start your tractor up and the light starts vibrating back and forth and would probably brake off in less than an hour. Mine was purchased from Peluker. I had to drill out the spot welds and fabricate a new brkt like the original, now it's fine. You also have to watch for the tool boxes made. Some are heavy like the originals and some are paper thin.

Rick,

You're right about the poor spot weld. That's exactly what happened to cause me to lose the bullet work light from my '51 as I wrote in another thread.

I wonder if the seller found that light laying along the road? I've told this story before, but I lost one like it when the !@#$% bracket on a !@#$%reproduction battery box broke off... Somewhere between Findlay, OH and Fremont, OH. I had just put it on for the show and didn't have the wire connected.

That experience was what made me start to make my own battery boxes. It was an expensive lesson. The light was far more valuable than the !@#$%^battery box.

As to the thickness of the metal... I think it isn't as important as most think. Thick or thin, if the rust gets a chance to start they will all quickly rust out. I think most rust problems with battery boxes, tool boxes, seat brackets, and platforms are caused by the battery acid from OVERCHARGING batteries. I use the same thickness as original.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

IH GIRL
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby IH GIRL » Tue Jan 11, 2005 2:36 pm

They boxes we carry are aftermarket (the OEM ones actually) (did carry thost "black ones" But stopped after we came across these nicer ones. ) Quality is pretty nice. Not sure what gauge they are, but not thin. Can sell the box with front and top which will come with the rubber grommets and J bolts for 95.00. Use to come in primer, but now in bare metal ready for primer.
Jamie
JP Tractor Salvage

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:15 pm

IH Girl. Do you sell just the box? My top and front are fine.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:16 pm

How about it George? Are you selling those purdy boxes you're making?
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Jan 12, 2005 1:56 pm

Scotty, Jamie doesn't get a chance to read the board to often due to business load, but you might want to email her at parts@jptractorsalvage.com
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”