This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sad Sad Sad Day

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mymariah
10+ Years
10+ Years

Sad Sad Sad Day

Postby mymariah » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:07 am

Was plowing yesterday, moving right along throwing lot of snow, and all of the sudden BANG - Hit a water shut-off that was above the cement about a 1/4 inch. Had gone over the 8" cover many times from east to west, except this time I was going west to East and that side must not of been a flush as the other side with the cement. Since I haven't found front mount hardware yet, I was using it as belly mount and it was working GREAT. Damage: Twisted and bent Alternate drawbar. That is easy to replace, since only cost $15 to build. However, 3 of the 4 holes that the drawbar bolts into busted out - yes, the casting. I gathered the 5 pieces, and that is all that is missing. Neighbor says he knows someone who can weld cast iron, so he says we can weld it, then put in a heli-coil for the bolts. I was moving right along since it was a smooth street, and momentum really helps when you don't have chains. Needles to say IF i can get the blad fixed, I won't be doing any more hard-core grading - not worth it!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:16 am

Never tore anything up, but I have hit soemthing solid with blade in front mount position, and it's quite a jolt. The spring on the bottom is suppposed to trip, but under some circumstances it doesn't. The steering whell and spinner knob can leave marks.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:02 am

Really sorry to hear that.

As for the welding. Might be okay for spares, but it would probably be cheaper, quicker and more efficient to get new castings from JP Tractor Salvage or TM Tractor.

My father in law has a little ritual he performs every fall just before the snow flies. He visually inspects his driveway, my driveway, my brother in laws driveway and any other he may consider doing that winter. He then either removes all the loose stones, rakes out the ridges and marks with a flag or a small tree those items he considers dangerous or a hazard to his blower or bucket.

I am now getting hooked on the same procedure. Last year I hit a chunck of concrete/ashpalt with Ellie and scared the bejeepers out of me. One lesson I am leaning is to make sure your driveway etc., is clear of FOD's.

Hey guys, not bad for a swabbie eh :!: :?: I know what FOD is -- usually applies to a runway and these items can cause Foreign Object Damage to an aircraft..... :shock: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Bruce Sanford
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Bruce Sanford » Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:32 am

You will find that in the winter. Anything close to the surface of the ground,the frost will raise things above the surface.I have burried boulders that have that come up above the surface in the winter time.We call it frost heave 3200lbs per square inch. 8) :)
owner of 48 fcub 34206 Cub cadets 108/102 with mower,snow thrower and blade

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:19 pm

Bruce. Every spring I have a great "Rock Harvest". I travel around the lawn and dig out all the rocks that pop up. The mower finds the rest :x
Ron

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:41 pm

You can move the bracket back where the psring bolt mounts to the frame so the bottom of the blade has less of an attack angle to it. That will make it easier for it to slip over an obstacle rather tan catching on it. Of course, that also creates more of a problem if you have hard packed or crusted snow.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:58 pm

Keep in mind that you can mount your regular drawbar reversed in the rear position and bolt the blade brackets to that. This will get you back in business until more permanent repairs can be made.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:36 pm

Busted two ford 3 point blades in at the pivot clearing snow using speed as a substute for traction. Blades are hard on cleanout plugs and vice-versa.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

(CUB HUT)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47401

Postby (CUB HUT) » Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:27 pm

RUDI
Glad to hear some old AIR FORCE lingo. Used to be my job at EIELSON A F B in ALASKA .checking runway for FOD'S--could have been anything from snow ball's to moose. DAVE-- HOPE YOU ARE FEELING BETTER :?:
THE OLDER I GET ---THE BETTER I WAS

If you can read this... thank a teacher... if you are reading it in English....THANK A VET !!!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:18 pm

Dave:

We used to have to do the same thing in Inuvik and Alert. In Inuvik it could have been anything from a rock, a cariboo or a heard of Arctic Hare. In Alert, we had to watch out for Polar Bear, Musk Ox, Hare, Arctic Fox and of course them thar wolves. Occassionally we might find some human FOD's, but those were usually the Army types who couldn't hold their beer :!: :D

Thanks, feeling tons better, but still have a long way to go down this particular road. Should be an interesting journey.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:28 pm

The tension on the spring behind the blade on mine must be adjusted to much less than you guys. Mine trips.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:12 pm

Rudi wrote:

I am now getting hooked on the same procedure. Last year I hit a chunck of concrete/ashpalt with Ellie and scared the bejeepers out of me. One lesson I am leaning is to make sure your driveway etc., is clear of FOD's.

:D

When I was young, my grandfather used an early Cub Cadet for snowblowing. He had a smooth asphalt driveway, but he also had a pair of Great Danes. He always said you hadn't lived until you tried to snowblow a frozen Great Dane dog turd. Having said that, I'm really sorry to read about the mishap with the water shut-off. Good luck...
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Mon Jan 10, 2005 6:19 pm

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:03 pm

I don't know if it was part of the story in this case or not. But keeping all the mounting bolts TIGHT goes a long way towards avoiding this sort of damage. A lot of damaged castings can be traced back to loose bolts.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:47 pm

Donny M wrote:Hey Jeff,
Read this post: http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=6117
8)

Great, Donny--particularly as I ride a Gold Wing!!!
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Return to “Farmall Cub”