This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Missing or flooding out

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Steve Schnipke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Missing or flooding out

Postby Steve Schnipke » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:12 am

Good Morning everyone:
I have a problem and would like some input. Yesterday went to plow about 9" of snow off drive way. Started up my cub, ran fine for the first five minutes then it started to act like it was getting too much gas. If I choke it half way ran better but not as good as normal. It will stall under load. The cub has ran fine the other dozen times I plowed this year. It is keep indoors, I don't know what could have changed. It is like it is missing or flooding out. There is some sediment in the bowl. If I remove bowl will gas flow out bottom of gas tank? while cleaning bowl. Thanks in advance. Sorry for the long post
Steve
Steve Schnipke

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

G'morning Steve...

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:50 am

You should have a cutoff on your sediment bowl. Turn it counter clockwise to shut off the flow of gas to the sediment bowl. (That is if you have a shut off valve). I'd take the bowl off, and clean out the gunk in the bottom. Check to see if there is any water in there also. If so, you probably have some in your gas tank too. Replace the sediment bowl, etc. On the bottom of your carb, there should be a square looking plug. Remove this plug and drain your gas into a jar or can. Replace the plug and try to run your tractor again (after turning the gas shutoff clockwise). Also, some Cubs have a screen under the gasket for the sediment bowl. Clean that up good too. Some NAPA stores have replacement sediment bowls that have screen and gasket ready to go. Just thought I'd mention this as an alternative.

Good Luck!

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Ike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 66801
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1951 Cub
1938 MH 101
1949 MH 44

Re: G'morning Steve...

Postby Ike » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:24 am

SundaySailor wrote:You should have a cutoff on your sediment bowl. Turn it counter clockwise to shut off the flow of gas to the sediment bowl. ........

Rick

I'm probably wrong, but it seems to me that this would turn the fuel on, not off. :?

Ike

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:24 am

Also remove and blow out the main jet that screws in the side of the carb. If my Cub starts missing or surging water or trash in this jet is usually the cause.

Best,
Mike

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

Whups!

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:29 am

Ike, I need a cup of coffee. Too early in the morning.

:oops:

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Re: Whups!

Postby johnbron » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:21 am

SundaySailor wrote:Ike, I need a cup of coffee. Too early in the morning.

:oops:

Rick

:lol: Man`o`man did you ever screw up Big Time Rick :lol: You better have 2-cups of Java. Turn the valve counterclockwise to to get your coffee to flow. :twisted:
Then came Bronson

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Working on the second one...(cup o' coffee)

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:43 am

That first one sure tasted good. Mind not in gear properly this morning. Must've been thinking about the direction of turn on the Cub's PTO. :oops:

Rick - But Hey, the rest was decent, right? :?

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:46 am

Most cut off's I know of except for oil burners clockwise shuts off and counter clockwis on. On oil burners it only some that are backwards.

You probably stirred up sediment and rust plowing. That it runs better with the choke out means you are starving for gas, not flooded. There should be a screen at the carb intake too unless a PO has removed it. I had the same trouble cutting gras last summer. I took the carb off after cleaning the bowl and bowl screen. Took the carb apart, cleaned the carb bowl, removed the float and idle adjusting screw. Then I blew every thing out with air. Next I stuck as piece of fine telephone wire down the Idle air tube, then blew that out again. Put everything back together with a new gasket, tightened the carb screws till just tight not as Huggy Bear not to deform the carb. Screw the idle adj screw in all the way, then bqcked out 1 1/2 turn, again no Huggy Bear. There was no inlet screen on my carb so i didn't have to put that back. Hooked every thing up and all was well. 50 year old tanks rust and it blocks things.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:40 am

Steve, as was mentioned above, turn off the fuel (clockwise from knob side) and flush out the carb. Then turn fuel back on and check for a sustained flow out the drain on the carb. there is a screen where the line goes into the carb as well as one in the sediment bowl. Also check the gas cap for the vents being open. There is also the possibility of water in the fuel or carb that is freezing and blocking fuel flow after you are outside long enough. If your fuel line is routed so there is a low place in it the water would probably be there.

Another common possibility is the coil is getting old and quitting when it gets warm. They will mimic a carb problem. Had it happen to me about 12 years ago, and I hunted for a week before I tried the coil in desperation.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Steve Schnipke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thanks

Postby Steve Schnipke » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:45 am

Thanks to everyone who has replied, This will help alot. I have printed out all the replies and will get to work. Is there a schemithc or drawing of a cub carb, showing the location of the Main Jet?
Steve Schnipke

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:52 am

Steve sure is. It is on the Cub Manual Server in the TC-37F.

But, to save you some time here it is. The Main Metering Jet is part # 28

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Jan 07, 2005 10:05 am

If you have the Zenith carb rather than the Ih one Rudi posted I believe it is a page or two before or after that one in the same manual.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”