This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

First Time Plowing Snow in Watking Glen - Not Pretty Either

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

First Time Plowing Snow in Watking Glen - Not Pretty Either

Postby ScottyG » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:31 am

Well, like Spaceghost, this morning was the first time plowing snow in Central NY. We had about 7 inches overnight with a slick coating of ice. It's not the fact that the Cub can't push it. I think if I had the traction, I could push the end of a car out of the way. I have 9.5 x 24 turf tires with 300 lb of wheel weights. The problem lies in my driveway. Asphalt, 20' x 90' or so with a 15% incline :(

The worst part of it is that my neighbor, a retired policeman, offers to rid the neighborhood of snow (something like Superman) with his brandy new $12,000 + hydraulic driven Cub Cadet Tractor complete with hydraulic snow blower attachement, seat warmer, coffee maker, toaster, frying pan etc. etc. The thing is a real beauty but I'll never let him know that. :wink:

Anyway, I'm in mid spin with my Farmall and he comes racing up the road and starts blowing the driveway across the street. He cluck clucks that it's too bad I don't have a set of chains and to add insult to injury, my wife comes out and tells me to have "Phil" do our driveway.

Of course, my pride kicked in and with a few shouts of "never" and I'll drop dead before I ask him, I proceeded to hand shovel the driveway yet another time.

Ok. Anecdotes aside, I have one question for all of you. As it appears that Tirechains.com is getting a whopping business this year, it looks as though I'm going to order a set of ladder chains. $111.00 I think. I'm thinking that this will be the most asphalt friendly of the bunch. But let's talk about shoes. I placed two on my grader blade and I think that it leaves way too much snow on the pavement. They're adjusted down about as far as they're going to go with approximately 1.5" of clearance underneath. Has anybody with an asphalt drive had any problems taking the shoes off and scraping the surface directly? I'm concerned that I'm going to gouge up the new surface that we just had placed 2 years ago. I'd rather leave the shoes on of course so, I'm open to ideas of how to retrofit the existing ones.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:38 am

Scotty, I have a set of chains I bought That were for a cub. They are a lttle big for my tires but may fit yours seeing they are the larger size. I might be inclined to let em go if you are interested.
Rondell

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:47 am

Scotty. As I don't have an asphalt drive, this is just an opinion. I don't believe the blade will ruin your drive more than chains or your shoes will. Your shoes will have more of a tendency to dig into asphalt. Just don't put a lot of down pressure on the blade. I would think if you can adjust the shoes to be equal with the bottom of your wear plate, you will be just fine. Your problem will be wearing the bottom of your plow down (wear plate) if you take the shoes off completely. It's too bad they don't have slots instead of holes for adjustment. Otherwise, I would give it a try.................
Last edited by Ron L on Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:49 am

take the shoes off!!!!!!! I had a big ashfault driveway. You can float that blade anywhere you want it just set your hyd stops where the best height is. I usualy let it ride light on the ashfalt becasue the tire chains will do more damage then the blade. It will work out just fine take them off and try it!
Chad

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:50 am

Scotty, look at the vertical tilt on your blade. By tilting the top of the blade forward you can lower the cutting edge of the blade and still keep it off the pavement.
Another option is to tweak the shoes with an impact fine tuning tool (big hammer). :D
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:54 am

You can always depend on Big Dog. Don't force it use a bigger hammer.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:20 am

I've tweeked the shoes with my impact tool pretty well but they're only going to bend so far since the lower nut on the mount gets in the way. The steel tends to curl around it. I actually thought about mounting the shoes backwards so that the shoe is on the front of the blade. That way, I can hammer them more into a 90 degree bend rather than a sweep.

True about the chains. They were going to be a last resort on the pavement due to potential damage but what are ya gonna do right? Otherwise, Henry's just a big paper weight in the snow.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:21 am

Rondell,

I am interested in your chains. Could you e-mail me and let me know if they'll fit 9.5 x 24? How much are you looking to sell them for? My zip code is 14891 if you want to tell me how $$ to ship.

Thanks!!
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:46 am

Turf tires have to be to your detrement when pushing snow.
Is it raining by you now? My brother in law in Oneonta has rain now.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:11 am

It's been pouring since 10:00 or so. It was ice on contact earlier but I think it's too warm for that now.
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:23 pm

Scotty,

I thankfully used to plow over 500 ft of asphalt drive. I never had shoes for the plow and the plow never hurt the asphalt. The chains on the other hand tend to chew into the asphalt if you get any wheel spin at all. My drive was very steep also and as long as I didn't try to back-up the hill I had no problems 8)

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:58 pm

Its been a few years since I've plowed snow with my Cub, but when I did I put 2 weights on each wheel for a total of 600lbs. I had one occasion to plow on asphalt and I felt like I was driving a tank. No chains just lots of weight. Unless its coated with ice, pavement should be a piece of cake. I've got 850' of gravel, now thats a whole different story!

Mag Man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mag Man » Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:25 pm

WOW, You got snow Cool. I live down here in Hannibal and we got about 2" last night and a quarter " of freezing rain. Its been green here most of the season I think the syracuse station said we had close to 13 feet this time last year. I cant wait to go play with my cub I have loaded tractor tread tires with weights and chains. Send some of that snow 50 miles to the west will ya. JON

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Thu Jan 06, 2005 10:51 pm

He would have to send it a bit North too wouldn't he??????????????
I am not set up at all with my Cub to plow.
I'll be in northern Deleware county next tues for a couple of weeks to finish insulating and finish the 1st floor Bathroom. I don't know if I want snow or not. I'll have to take the back hoe off and put the 3 point plow on if it gets too bad. Got to do something with a 1000 foot drive. At 72 i am too old to shovel and too lazy to park at the street and walk in and out. Like the man said a man has to do what a man has to do.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Fri Jan 07, 2005 8:39 am

Scotty, I will let ya know about the chains. They say its supposed to warm up next week so I can get em out and try them for fit better. As for shipping I can probably meet ya in Ithaca and sve the shipping costs.I will PM you later. Its time to head north again. GOTTA PAY THE BILLS.
Rondell

Return to “Farmall Cub”