This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Actuating Rod for Front Plow -or - grading blade

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
wwirz
10+ Years
10+ Years

Actuating Rod for Front Plow -or - grading blade

Postby wwirz » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:05 pm

I have a IH blade which can be mounted on the front of the tractor or underneath as a grading blade. The rod which lifts the blade up and down is nothing more than a solid rod.

Does anyone have plans for an actuating assembly that includes a spring to abosrb the shock?

It seems like IH built these blades with a solid rod and the kind with the spring. THe spring loaded actuator looks like an A FRAME mounted to two brackets on the blade support frame.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Bill

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Mon Jan 03, 2005 11:03 pm

The lifting arm with the spring was the later blade models (C54A). You must have the model C54 (earlier model). You will be able to find the manual for "Leveling and Grader Blade" on Rudi's site. You could possibly get your idea to manufacture one from there or try one of the tractor supply sites listed on the home page for purchase of a used one.

Try this site: http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20 ... index.html

This is a PDF file I think............
Ron

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:14 pm

wwirz:

Funny you should bring this up.

Gord Trail and myself both have Cub-54 blades which we are restoring. An integral part of this process is to actually upgrade it to the Cub-54A configuration.

This means that the spring lift assembly had to be manuafactured. We had 2 made from measurements taken from an actual part from a Cub-54A.

I have the measurements here somewhere on my desk. Since I spent the better part of the last 3 months in hospital, I kind of misplaced it :oops: However, ifn you can give me a few days, I can find the measurements and try to put those onto a copy of the parts diagram. Just gotta figure out how to use paint or something like that - hey guys can use a little help on that one.

The assembly is very easy to have made. I will include a parts list of what we purchased and the costs. We also had the spacer blocks, the U-bracket, boomerang and a couple of other things made. Very reasonable price.

Let me know what you wish.

I need the measurements though of the front lifting rod if you have it - a sketch showing the elbows, hole locations and overall length centre to centre and the diameter would help me immensely. I have the measurements for the rear lifting rod for the belly mount position, but do not have the measurements for the rod in the front mount position.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:02 pm

Let me know Rudi. I have a chain on mine now.
1960 f-cub,IH Cub Cadet model 76, 125,
1957 IH350u

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:29 pm

RedNed:

K, will try to get it done in the next day or so. Gonna take some playing with a photo manipulation program I guess.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:57 am

Rudi. Paint or the other picture programs are very basic & easy to draw lines & insert text in the "edit" mode. You can try something then "edit - undo" if it isn't what you want.

RedNed. That is a gorgeous looking blade set-up. Looks brand new with the nice paint job and all the shiney hardware. (including the snow extension) :)
Ron

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:11 pm

Thanks Ron
Found the blade for less than $50.rest of the other parts from our friend Tom @ TM Tractor.The Blade was pretty rusty and pitted.I use Some navel jelly and good all elbow grease with a wire brush.It does not look like that now after a summer of dirt .I have rear wheel weights on now,tires like to spin without the weight . The added weight worked great.I been putting off getting chains.I keep saying I'll get them.I'am like the guy who buys a snowblower and it does not snow.

1957 IH350u

ScottyG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ScottyG » Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:09 pm

wwirz,

I fabricated some of my own components for my 54A and have made diagrams of each part. I see that you live in Corning. I live in Watkins Glen and would be happy to show each of them to you or send you a copy of what I've drawin up.

I am looking for the same component though. The front lifting yoke with the pressure spring ("actuator"). Take your time though Rudi, I'm using a chain right now but would love to fabricate one at some time. BTW, TM Tractor told me that they are working on one for purchase. Should be out soon.

Rudi, would you still like a copy of the 54A grader mouting hardware drawing that I've drafted up?
"Henry" 1948 Farmall Cub

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Jan 07, 2005 3:12 pm

Scotty:

Yes please.

Btw, the drawings are coming along.

Buggyscott
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Buggyscott » Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:34 pm

Had 40+ ton of rock delivered this morning to do part of the driveway. My Missy with the Model 54 grader blade did a super job. Had it mid mounted and have not modified it from the original. In fact the truck divers stayed around and watched Missy do her thing, said it was a great outfit for spreading rock. Got to admit it took me a couple of minutes to get the rythum but once I got the hang of it Missy and the Model 54 did a fine job.
Got a Cub and a good team of horses, nothing else I need or want except maybe another Cub and some more equipment!

RedNed
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedNed » Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:49 pm

Buggy,Sounds like Missy did a great job. I've got to try that blade in the grade configuration. The one thing I remember about Alabama,(US Army) was that red ,I mean red clay soil you have.I bet its as red as Missy. :lol:

1957 IH350u

Russ Leggitt
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 38655
Tractors Owned: [18] CUBs from 1947 thru 1974; "B" Farmall, [2] John Deere MTs; Ford 600; Ford 4000; and a 1956 IHC S112 Pickup [CUB Hauler]

Postby Russ Leggitt » Fri Jan 07, 2005 9:22 pm

Hey Rudi or Anyone Else,

I will be happy to make and print detailed shop drawings "to Scale" on my CADD system. I will just need some rough sketches with dimensions.

This goes for anything relating to CUBs or Implements. Just let me know how I can help. I can receive info via FAX. Just send me a personal message and I will e-mail you my FAX no.

See what "RETIREMENT" will do for you.

Russ L.

Return to “Farmall Cub”