This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Did I do something wrong?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Did I do something wrong?

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:17 am

Got an oops! I've been working on my Cub doing the following: Cleared the breather pipe assembly, installed new fan belts, new radiator, new wiring harness, realigned the front tires. Here's what I now have: My normally good oil pressure all of a sudden shows nothing. The gauge will not move. I've tried it with the engine running, and then watched it while shutting down. There is no movement in the needle at all. I know I had good oil pressure before the above was completed, but now the gauge doesn't want to co-operate. Could this be a coincidence? Also, could someone verify for me what my ammeter is supposed to read? I did polarize the generator before starting the Cub up. My Fluke 23 meter is on the blink with faulty leads, so the readings I get don't match up. (They sometimes make contact, other times NADA). I do have lights now, and the tractor runs except the aforementioned problems.

Thank in advance for the help.

Rick

:? :oops:
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:28 am

Rick, I would not run the tractor until I found out why the oil pressure is reading zero. It may be a defective gauge (best case scenario) or the pressure might actually be zero (normal luck scenario). If indeed the pressure is zero, the rest of your problems won't matter. Remove the gauge and have it checked or replace it. Once the oil pressure is confirmed and / or corrected you can move on.

Your ammeter reading depends on whether you have a regulator or cut-out. But normally the cut-out system will read around +3 amps on low charge and around +10 - +12 on high charge. Regulator systems usually show a fairly high charge right after starting and then drop to around +5 or so after running a while.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Jan 03, 2005 9:09 am

Follow BD's advice. If your cub has been setting for an extended period you may need to prime the pump, but that usually isn't required unless the oil pump has been removed. To prime it remove the socket head plug on the rear engine flange on the left side (behind touch control lines) and pump it ull of oil. My 48 is a little worn, and it takes what seems forever to build up pressure after setting for a while, but in truth its only about 15 to 20 seconds.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Mon Jan 03, 2005 10:31 am

Rick,

If your Cub's oil pressure guage mounts on the back of the oil filter maybe the port is clogged. That happened to me. Also, with the guage removed start the engine and see how far the oil squirts out. Don't let it run too long. Sounds primitive and messy but it should tell you if you have any pressure at all. Good luck! One other thing. If the tractor has been sitting for a long time you might have to prime the oil pump. There should be an small allen plug in the right hand side of the rear engine flange. ( the part that bolts to the bell housing). It's at about 11:00 on the flange. Remove it and squirt in about five or six shots of oil. Put the plug back in and start it up. Good luck!
Always try the easiest thing first.

Return to “Farmall Cub”