This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New project 51 cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bamacub
10+ Years
10+ Years

New project 51 cub

Postby Bamacub » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:04 pm

I have just started a complete restoraion on 1951 cub. The tear down has went good so far. Have the front off, engine off & taken apart & delivered to the machine shop. The problem I have come across is the two bolts that hold down the seat stand. They will not move, I may have outsmarted myself, I used a torch and cut the heads off & they still won't move. There is about 1/2 inch sticking up, plenty to get a grip on, but they will not move. I often read the posts here, but hardly ever post myself. I know some of the experts will have an answer. Thanking you in advance for any help.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Jan 01, 2005 7:11 pm

Since you have a torch, heat them good and let them cool, then spen a few days soaking them with a good penetrating oil. Also if you get a set of Sears bolt outs that will fit the bolt, or weld a nut to them and regularly use an impact wrench briefly. Patience is the key.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Tom Evans
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49032

Postby Tom Evans » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:17 pm

If you have a 1/2" sticking up I would weld a nut onto the remaining bolt shaft. The heat of welding and the cooling will help loosen the bolts. Then use some penetrating oil and they should come right out with a wrench. This worked for me on a few stubborn bolts I had on the platform under the battery box.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Sat Jan 01, 2005 10:37 pm

I snapped both off on one of my Cubs, the stems were almost completely rusted through. Drilling and tapping was not my idea of a fun afternoon. I concur, be patient!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”