This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Grand dad's Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rdunstan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Crank

Postby rdunstan » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:48 pm

Don't know about the life of a roll pin versus a dowell pin in this application, but you're probably right about the dowell pin being better for a 50-year life. I can say I've have had no problems in the year or so I have used mine. However even it it fails it is pretty easy to replace the pin and as an added bonus a roll pin will stay put whereas a dowell pin requires more prescision in the hole diameter and should be heat shrunk in or knurled and pressed for best retention.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:48 pm

There are several listed on e-bay right now. You can almost always get one for under $25 there.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Tue Jan 18, 2005 9:13 pm

I just mentioned the dowel pin cause the crank I made about 5 years ago has been used extensively with no negative signs. I just used a 3/16 reamer and pressed the pin in (dowel is ground o'size for press fit). It's case hardened for better wear. I agree a roll pin would be easy to replace.....................
Ron

KenHigginbotham
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KenHigginbotham » Thu Jan 20, 2005 8:47 pm

I bought the cub rebuild video by a guy named Dan and his wife. It's ok, I learned some stuff. If anyone is interested, I'll be glad to loan it out...

kh

KenHigginbotham
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KenHigginbotham » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:55 pm

Just curious - What do you guy's keep in your parts washers? I was going to get a small one and keep it in the carport to do late night tinkering and didn't want the little lady to get upset with the smell. Would mineral spirits work pretty good and not evaporate very fast?

ken

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:06 pm

I think kerosene is mostly used around these parts. Or, you can call Safe-T-Kleen and buy there parts washer fluid.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

rdunstan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Solvent for parts washer

Postby rdunstan » Fri Jan 21, 2005 4:22 pm

I bought a parts washer from Harbor Freight for ~$30 that specifically said not to use any petroleum based solvent. The pump was plastic. They sell some water based stuff for about $5 per gallon that seemed to work reasonably well.

KenHigginbotham
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KenHigginbotham » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:25 am

I thought some washer pumps may have problems with gas, etc. I suppose I should check the specs first. Thanks...

Carb question: I read the sever stuff - real good info!! If I go to the IH dealer, can I just ask for a cub 3/4 updraft IH/OEM rebuild kit?

Ken

Return to “Farmall Cub”