This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

type of trailer to haul cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:52 am

If you decide to go for a used one, be sure to check the spring bushings, many of them are worn out and have started wearing through the bolts and spring eyes. I made do with what I could find for many years, but last year I decided to bite the bullet and bought the one I posted above. That way I could get exactly what I wanted. I have not regretted the decision.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

therocket
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby therocket » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:30 am

I bought a 6 1/2ft x 12ft Landscape Trailer capable of 3000lbs with a rear gate on the back that you can drive up on. If I add brakes to the Trailer I can pick up another 500lbs. The cost new was around $1160 but you can pick up a good used one for around the $700-800 range. This type of Trailer works great for my 1960 Farmall Cub with some room to spare.

CaptPaulret
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub Hauler

Postby CaptPaulret » Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:21 am

I to was looking for a trailer to haul my cub and implements from my winter home to my camp on Lake Ontario. I searched for a good used and shopped for new. Because I also have a MF 50 that I use a lot for the heavy work, I wanted a trailer that would safely haul that tractor. Last fall I finally bit the bullet and bought a new 10,000 GVWR trailer made by Carry-on Trailer Co. It is tandem axle, with brakes on both axles and has a beaver tail. The deck is PT which I sealed as soon as I got it home. I haul it with a 1/2 ton GMAC with the heavy duty tow package. Now if I hear of a good deal on cubs or equipment I can race BIG DOG to the location. I looked at a lot of different trailers and I was impressed with the construction of this one. You can see their models on line at www.//carry-ontrailer.com. Now if only I can find the time and money, maybe we can attend one of the big cub shows.
Capt. Paul Ret.
Oswego, NY

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Super A » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:12 pm

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote: I have since added wire mesh and a tailgate, as well as a side mounted pickup crane for loading stuff and tie down loops along the top rail. I really like it, but it is a good 600 pounds heavier than the old one.

John,

I think a setup like yours may be the ticket! Where'd you get your tie-down loops, and what capacity are they rated for? I have a Load-Trail carhauler trailer similar in capacity to yours which I use for tractor hauling, and I have never been brave enough to use the stake pockets for tie-down points. They're made out of 1/8" material and just look too thin to hold a tractor still. I usually just bring my chain down and hook it on a crossmember underneath, which I would prefer not to do.

Also, seeing Bigdog's setup reminds me--anybody have a good suggestion for trailer toolboxes? I want to add one to my trailer for holding chains, binders, and other goodies and just haven't been able to find something I like for a reasonable price that doesn't take up a lot of bed space on the trailer.
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:47 pm

I think that box came from TSC. They also have a wedge shaped one that sits on the tongue and doesn't take up any bed space.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:33 pm

BigDog don't pull to hard on the right front axle of that loaded Cub and crack the block at you know where.
Young man for work, old man for advice

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:21 pm

The tiedown loops can be purchased from TSC, as well as most farm supply stores. Probably get them a t Lowes also. They come in various sizes from 3k to 20k. If I remember correctly mine are 12k. seemed plenty heavy since I use 4 to tie the cub, one at each corner. There are 5 on each side of the trailer and one in the center front for tying to when there are different loading requirements.

Ramon
10+ Years
10+ Years

Will a Chevy Z71 Silverado pull a tandem trailer (8000 lbs)?

Postby Ramon » Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:54 pm

My neighbor has a Chevy Silverado Z71 that I was thinking of trying to get him to sell me. Will it pull a tandem trailer for hauling both a Cub and a Farmall 100 (with liquid in the tires) ?
Thanks
Ramon

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:04 pm

Should handle it with no problem. I haul 2 cubs with wheel weights (no fluid) and attachments behind a 4 liter Ranger with no problem what so ever. I definitely would get electric brakes, my trailer with the 2 cubs and attachmnets is around 5k total weight. Might also want to get a class 3 hitch rather than a ball on the step bumper. Most of the bumpers are only rated for 2k total and 200 pound tongue weight. Also load levelers are nice when you have to load a little nose heavy for a long trip.

mymariah
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mymariah » Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:23 pm

Spent the day looking and found a guy who must get his trailers from way south. I ended up with a 8.5'x16 tandem axle with one axle having brakes. I wonder if it didn't come from the same place as a previous post (abc..??). The tires are used, and the decking is not treated, however, the prices was at least 1000 less than others in my area. I paid 1270. One of my favorite options is the under-carriage storage for the ramps. Its supposed to warm up later this week so I'll pull it in the shop and paint the underside of the boards, and the maybe sand some other spots. Now I can take my cub to all sorts of parades!!! Too bad the first one won't be for 6 months yet :(

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:18 pm

Before you seal them up too good with paint I'd let them dry for a few months, most lumber now is still a little green when buyers get it. Migh want to consider some type of water proofing such as Thompsons rather than painting the bottom. Some of the wood workers can give you better info, but I've know lumber that was sealed too well to dry rot.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:50 pm

You say 8 foot 6 inch??????????????? wide. I don't know if things have changed but you used to need permits for over 8 foot wide in NY. Maybe other states are different???????? It's a long time since I had anything to do with that though.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Mon Dec 27, 2004 8:17 pm

I'd wager it was 6.5' - could be wrong though..... :(
Bigdog

mymariah
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mymariah » Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:25 pm

Yeah, 8.5 on the outside - 82" between the wheel wells

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor

Postby Bigdog » Mon Dec 27, 2004 10:09 pm

mymariah - you might want to do a quick check on trailer laws not only in your home state but also wherever you think you might take your trailer. You may have purchased a trailer that requires a special permit because of it's width. You might still have time to re-consider if needed.
Bigdog

Return to “Farmall Cub”