This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

sharpening and balancing C-2 blades

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

sharpening and balancing C-2 blades

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Dec 19, 2004 7:40 pm

For rough cutting is it better to have a sharp edge on a blade, or leave it thicker (like1/32 or so)? Too balance, do I just want the two blades to weigh the same, or should they balance on a pivot the same distance from one end, or? Thought I'd take off the mower while I don't need it and do what ever other clean up is needed underneath. Thanks for the help, and Merry Christmas to all the forum members and their families.
Bob

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:10 pm

My reccomendation for rough cutting would be a sharp taper (not a long thin edge, it dulls and dmages to easy), but with a reasonably sharp edge. That is starting sharp but getting thick rapidly. Did that make sense?

Regarding balancing, you want the right and left ends of the complete blade to weigh the same, so making sure both blades are the same weight should do it. make a simple beam balance with a wire tied in the middle to support it and a hook on each end to match the blade weights.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bob McCarty » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:29 pm

John, that makes perfect sense. I'll hang the blades and see which one is heavier next time I get out to the shop.

Return to “Farmall Cub”