This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Happy Cub-ie This Evening!

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Dave in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years

Happy Cub-ie This Evening!

Postby Dave in Md » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:46 pm

Thanks folks! I'm a happy cub-ie tonite!
I have the "tired" 53 that I've asked for advice on in previous posts. Today I added some Sea Foam to the gas, put fresh plugs in, and removed (temporarily) the breather tube from the air cleaner to the front of the block. When I fired her up she filled the garage with smoke in about 3 seconds so I got it out the door quickly and then went back to open all the doors to air the place out. When I was back on the Cub I let the clutch out a touch to fast and she durned near popped a wheelie! I have a hill in the middle of the lane that I've tried to climb in 3rd gear. I'd get a running start at full throttle and the Cub would literally stall before it was half way up. Today, I went up that hill in 3rd at full throttle, at an idle, and every speed in between! I'm just pickled tink!!!
I'm not sure exactly what made the difference or if it was a combination of things, but thanks for the advice. I KNEW it should have been able to pull that hill.
The breather tube will go back on after I've cleared an obstruction. It's soaking in carb cleaner now. I got cramps in my hand from trying to clear it out with a piece of wire. Whatever solidified crud is blocking it is in there good. Compressed air wouldn't budge it either. Let's see if 'better living through chemistry' will apply to this problem.
Well, she's not as 'tired' as I thought.
Thanks again.
Dave

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:14 pm

I had great success clearing a blocked tube by heating with a small propane torch followed by compressed air. Be careful and don't let the flame rest in one place. 8) Now would be a good time to clean the air cleaner with kerosene, along with the dipstick/breather cap. :wink:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:51 pm

Go for it Dave. It is such a joy when you realize that it is not the old tired iron you had earlier.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:57 pm

Sea Foam is good for snake bite too! :lol: I use it in all my vehicles regularly, to help keep them cleaned out. Don't forget to clean the fittings where the breather tube attaches to the block and breather.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:13 pm

I got tired trying to clear my breather tube with wire, cleaner, heat. What ever solidifies in there gets like a rock. So I just replaced it with a piece of brake line..........
Ron

Dave in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave in Md » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:12 am

Keeping the tube full of solvent may have helped. Working by following one of my favorite tongue-in-cheek sayings I applied heat and then about 100lb compressed air. The breather tube cleared out with a nice 'pop'. Right now it's hanging a few feet above the heater waiting for the fresh coat of rattle-can paint to dry. I've already cleaned the fittings and the filters. Next is re-assembly and then good ol seat time.
Dave

S.H.A.F.T.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Breather tube

Postby S.H.A.F.T. » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:13 pm

Dave, I could not get mine clear either. I had to soak it in a hot tank for a weekend to loosen her up. I then applied compressed air and it was clear. Keep at it.

S.H.A.F.T.
"Son, you can do it right, or you can do it again."

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:14 pm

I had good & fast luck with mine by squirting the tube full with carb-cleaner and then I put an old speedometer cable in my hand drill and snaked it through. The turning action of the cable agitating the blokage & carb-fluid ate through it in a Rush-Gush. :)
Then came Bronson

HART
10+ Years
10+ Years

BREATHER TUBE ?

Postby HART » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:50 pm

I MUST SHOW MY IGNORANCE... ONCE AGAIN.... WHAT AND WHERE, IS THE BREATHER TUBE AND IS IT ANOTHER PLACE I SHOULD CLEAN OUT TO MAKE GAS FLOW BETTER TO CARB ???

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:17 pm

The breather tube being discussed here is the one that runs from the front of the engine block up to the air cleaner body and it vents the vapor from the crankcase into the air cleaner.

This is what it looks like.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Dec 22, 2004 3:24 pm

The breather tube runs from the LF of the block to the stack on the air cleaner. It assists in the aspiration of the engine. If this tube becomes blocked, it can cause all sorts of minor problems.

Make sure the oil filler/dipstick cap and air cleaner are both clean.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Return to “Farmall Cub”