This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

'48 Cub w/Ford Starter?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
9mules
10+ Years
10+ Years

'48 Cub w/Ford Starter?

Postby 9mules » Fri Dec 17, 2004 8:30 am

My starter has a 3-post relay mounted ontop of it, with a push to start button.
I define a relay as non-mechanical a solenoid is mechanical. Similar to the Ford 8N models.
It works but I don't trust the wiring.
Ford World wiring schematics have a push button that grounds the center post, thereby connecting the "outer" 2 heavy posts (battery/starter).
Anyone have any suggestions on the correct wiring to make this work on a Cub?
Previous owner had the push button connected to ammeter/center terminal/hot (-) terminal of relay.

Thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:33 am

I would think the correct wiring depeends on how the relay itself is designed. If it is designed one way, I can't imagine it working at all if it is wired the other.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:45 am

Some are designed with the control coil tapped off of the hot feed and you supply the ground to the center terminal to engage the relay. Sone have the control coil internally grounded and you supply battery voltage through the switch to engage the relay.

As Jim said, you need to determine what type you have.

If it was working before as wired from your description, you are supplying voltage through the switch to the coil.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:34 am

Easy enough to tell how it was built with an ohmmeter. a reading to ground from the center control terminal indicates that you need 12 volts to close the solenoid. a reading from the BAT term to the center control term indicates that a ground needs to be applied for operation.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Return to “Farmall Cub”