This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

compression acceptable? 100 - 110 - 100 - 90

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

compression acceptable? 100 - 110 - 100 - 90

Postby rick 48 cub » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:07 pm

Thanks for all of the feedback. Dispite the fact that it was about 20 deg F today, and that the engine has not run for weeks, I personally thought that the compression numbers looked pretty good. What do you think ?

Something funny happened while I was testing the compression. The same thing happened on each of the 4 cylinders. The Max pressure would be reached after four or five pulses - then even with the engine spinning with the starter - the pressure dropped off dramatically. Whats up with that ?

Thanks, Rick
Rick 1948 cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Copression Readings

Postby Eugene » Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:31 am

I'm assuming that the compression readings are wet (oiled cylinder) readings. Two of the cylinders improved and two dropped - that's highly unlikely.

A guess, the compression tester may be faulty - leaks or is not holding the pressure. I have two types. One holds the pressure until you press a button. The second, you have to watch as the needle (pressure) moves up and down with the cylinder.

The spread is just a little wide. Even with an overhaul the psi reading wouldn't improve very much. I would try the sea foam to loosen up any stuck rings and work the tractor for a while. Then try the compression readings again.

Eugene.

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

dry compression test

Postby rick 48 cub » Fri Dec 17, 2004 5:51 pm

Hi Eugene,

Actually, I tested the cylinders dry. I could not find my fogging spray.

Rick
Rick 1948 cub

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub compression

Postby Eugene » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:26 am

Catsup bottle. Just squirt a bit of motor oil in each cylinder. I think your engine is pretty close to normal. I just wouldn't worry about it.

I was going to mention before. I had problems with my compression tester, the one with the valve to release pressure, when it was very cold - around ZERO in the shop. After I warmed up the shop for a couple of days it worked fine.
Eugene

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thanks Eugene

Postby rick 48 cub » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:37 pm

Thanks for the similar compression story. I now have found direction. Based on my examination of the cub so far (weak spark/decent compression) I am going to pull the magneto and have it rebuilt and re-magnetized.

Take Care
Rick 1948 cub

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:15 pm

sounds as if you are heading in the right direction.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”