This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

any advice on magneto removal/repair/refurbishment

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

any advice on magneto removal/repair/refurbishment

Postby rick 48 cub » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:28 pm

Hi All,

I think my recently acquired (and neglected) 48 farmall needs a magneto rebuild. (Weak spark even after I replaced the distributer cap and cleaned all of the connections.)

I would appeciate any advice on removal and repair. What parts (part numbers) are usually replaced ? What magneto components most often need repair ?

Thanks, Rick
Rick 1948 cub

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby farmallcub49 » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:35 pm

Rick,
I have to get you the St. Cloud shop number, but there is a man near me that just rebuild mags. He gets around a hundred bucks to them,but when you get it back it will be hot!. I'll have to find his number also for you.

Farmallcub49
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

original message

Postby rick 48 cub » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:42 pm

Thanks Farmall Cub 49. Yes - please send me the message of your magneto guy. I think that $100 is well worth the work of an artist. On the one hand I would like to perform all of the work myself - but I have to remember two things: 1) I have no experience with mags - and it may be 'fine' work and 2) I am always crunched for time.

Where is you magneto guy located - St. Cloud ?

Rick
Rick 1948 cub

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:13 pm

Rick,

You can do it yourself. It's fairly simple. This may help:
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Magneto%20Clean/Magneto%20Clean.htm

Not a hard thing to do 8)

Kevin
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Kevin » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:37 pm

Rick
the magneto is very easy to remove it only has one slot (no gear like on a car distributor) so it can only go in to ways . just take off the cap and see where its pointing to before removing it and take it out the internal coil is about $45.00 the easiest way to tell its bad it usually looks like burnt oil inside the mag. when you get out the mag and take off the cover for the coil you'll understand it completely how to remove it. its simple
I just did mine and it was my first and didn't even have a book just the help of the fine people on farmalcub.com
good luck leave us know how it turns out
Kevin :D :D
Kevin's 49er

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:58 am

Rick clean and adjust the points, change the condensor just like a distributer in a pick up or car. The coil is in the mag not seperately mounted and it makes it's own electricity just like a lawn mower.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop