This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need advice on leather...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Need advice on leather...

Postby Cubnut » Wed Dec 15, 2004 6:58 pm

On my 1950 FCub project, I'm getting ready to start reconditioning the hydraulic valve body. This will be a working tractor, so I'm not concerned about everything being exactly original, but I also don't want anyone putting out a contract on me for ruining a good Cub or its parts. I figure I'd better ask first.

The valve body has two shafts sticking out the front (piston sleeve and control valve), and aparently they both originally had leather boots on them. The parts book lists new boots, but they're rubber...I guess leather has pretty much gone out of style with IH and replacement leather boots are no longer available. The boots on this tractor are leather, and they seem to be in one piece with no cracks, tears or holes in them. They're very dirty, oil-soaked and hard, but otherwise they look OK...just stained. I haven't tried removing them or cleaning them yet, but I will do so in the near future.

My question is: are they worth saving, or should I just get new rubber ones? I can't believe that, after 50+ years, many of the leather ones are still good...are they rare enough to justify attempting to restore them? If so, what would be the best way to clean the oil, dirt and paint from them? Because they're kind of stiff with age, should I soak them in some kind of preservative to soften them up for 50 more years of happy Cubbing? I'd hate to replace something that maybe should be saved and risk getting pounded some day by an irate restorer!

Any ideas?
These cubs never grow up

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:12 pm

I'd save them if I could but I'll bet that they fall apart just trying to get them off.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:45 pm

You're probably right...I don't expect them to make it past the prybar stage. I've never seen a 54 year old cow, so I don't know how long leather will last, but these things have got to be petrified.

Assuming they don't turn to dust at the first touch, how would you get them clean & fit for use? What kind of treatment stuff would you use? I've never had to restore old leather.
These cubs never grow up

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Dec 15, 2004 7:51 pm

Using Neets foot oil is what the old timers did. We can get it on Staten Island so i guess any hardware or sportins goods store would have it. We used to rub it in to soften baseball gloves when i was a kid.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:46 pm

You can get a new leather boot from Case/IH. Just tell the parts guy/gal you want a boot for the Super A, black leather and very nice. As for the control boot the rubber one is best. I'm not able to get you part numbers at this time but if you have trouble with Case/IH let me know and I can get the part numbers for you 8)

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:47 pm

If you order new ones, the smaller one for the contol valve will be the same size, just made from rubber. The one for the lift piston though will be much smaller and only fits over the knuckle on the rod. If you want one that fits over the lip on the housing as the original did you need to order one fot the lif piston on a Super A.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Leather boots

Postby Bill V in Md » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:08 pm

Cubnut,

I had the same issue with the boots on my 1948 touch control unit. I soaked them in kerosene for a day or so, with some gentle scrubbing along the way. They cleaned up real nice and, after drying, looked pretty darn good.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:29 am

My humble thanks to all...looks like some excellent info and advice here. I didn't know about the Super A parts. I'll try to save the ones I have but, if that doesn't work, I'll waste no time getting new ones from either of these sources.

Thanks again!
These cubs never grow up

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Re: Leather boots

Postby Bill V in Md » Thu Dec 16, 2004 5:20 pm

Bill V in MD wrote:Cubnut,

I had the same issue with the boots on my 1948 touch control unit. I soaked them in kerosene for a day or so, with some gentle scrubbing along the way. They cleaned up real nice and, after drying, looked pretty darn good.

Below is a photo of the larger of the two boots, after cleanup. Not bad for 56 years old......Bill V in Md
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Return to “Farmall Cub”