This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Soda Blaster

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Ron
10+ Years
10+ Years

Soda Blaster

Postby Ron » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:13 am

Hi,

I'm planning on doing some painting on my Cub and a 1955 Chevy that I have.
I know of most ways of stripping the paint off oven cleaner, wire brush, and sand blasting.
I ran into a guy the other day that was talking about using baking soda to blast the paint off.

Have any of you guys used this type of media before??

Thanks,

Ron
1951 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:53 am

Never heard of using baking soda, but there are many different medias available for blasting. I have done a little sandblasting, and I would NOT blast anything that is assembled if you intend to keep it and use it. The dust and grit will get in everything. The result will be premature failure of seals, and possibly bearings to. Several years ago when I managed a 2 way radio shop one of our customers sand blasted the interior of a concrete mixer truck to repaint the interior. The radio was bolted to the rear wall, and they taped plastic over it to keep the sand out. Three times over the next six months I had to remove the radio and blow it out with air and retune it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ron
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ron » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:09 am

Thanks John!!

This guy said the advantage of using soda was that it would not hurt metal trim or glass.
Therefore, you don't have to do a lot of masking/removing before you blast the paint off.
He said you can rinse the soda residue off with water.

I don't think a regular sand blasting unit will work using soda though.

Ron
1951 Farmall Cub

rondellh
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rondellh » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:11 am

Ron,
At work they have a unit like that. It is'nt used anymore but they say it cleaned well and would take the paint off if you wanted to do so.
It was applied with the pressure washer.
Rondell

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:30 am

In food plants they use dry-ice as a blasting media on there machinery. It cleans everything spotless and leaves no media mess to clean up.
Then came Bronson

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby danovercash » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:43 am

When I worked for the school system they had a pressure washer with a "sand point" that could be used for sandblasting without wearing protective gear. Worked very well to remove graffiti etc. I used it to clean my disc harrow and some aluminum lawnmower parts. An injection system was used to provide protection from rust on ferrous iron. When I cleaned the bumpers on the VW truck, they rusted as fast as I cleaned them without prep. solution. The name of the machine was Hydro-Sander. (They have a web site) I saw a demonstration where different layers of paint were exposed using baking soda and water. We just took a barrel of water and a bag of blast sand in the back of a truck to remove paint from sidewalks.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:07 pm

I had my cub soda blasted, works great. You can also use plastic media. Sand works good but can distort the sheet metal. you can ruin a hood with a sand blaster. The Soda works good but you still have to be a little carfule on large flat surfaces. An interetesting story: I used to paint at a GM dealer and we sent a brand new 0 mile vette to get plastic media blasted, they had a new guy who messed up and sand blasted it. Actualy put holes all the way throught the vette. It was a white aniversary model. It totaled the car, went right the the junk yard, never even titled. Damn shame
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Thu Dec 16, 2004 6:08 am

Todd that hurts!!

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Thu Dec 16, 2004 7:24 am

I was wondering if the guy still had a job. :oops:
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:51 am

He was gone by the time they delivered the car back to the shop.
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

Return to “Farmall Cub”