This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Crankshaft pulley removal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Crankshaft pulley removal

Postby sviennadan » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:30 pm

Does anyone know the procedure for removing the crankshaft pulley? We have removed the front wheels at the timing cover plate, but can't figure out how the crankshaft pulley is fastened.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:43 pm

It's not fastened, it's a friction fit. If you search the message archive with the key words crankshaft pulley you should find several posts on the topic. Basically - make sure you use a good puller, use a backer plate behind the pulley - do not pull against the flanges, they will break, and you may have to apply some heat in order to get it off. Soak with penetrant. Check the article at the link:
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Maintenance%20Tips%20and%20Techniques/Crankshaft%20Pulley%20Removal/Crankshaft%20Pulley%20Removal.htm
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:00 pm

BigDog is right. I understand that there's a special puller made just for these, but I've never seen one. When I pulled mine, I used a very strong bearing puller with a new backing plate, large bolts and plenty of careful alignment...it came off in three heartbreaking pieces. The problem was that, despite my best efforts, the puller got just VERY SLIGHTLY off center, contacted the rim and busted it. This was because I didn't watch the timing pointer...it got in the way of the puller and threw it off a little. Removing the pointer is an option...it's a press fit and you'll mark it up, but it will come out if you're careful. Getting it back in is your baby.
These cubs never grow up

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:35 pm

Here's a link to a puller I made after I broke a 5 ton gear puller. The notch in the backing plate is small enough it pulls against the thick part of the hub without touching the falnge.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewto ... ley+puller
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

sviennadan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Gear puller John *.?-!.*

Postby sviennadan » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:37 pm

Wow! What a great rig! How thick is that steel you used for the brackets? I'm going to attempt a copy of your rig. Thanks!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 15, 2004 9:35 pm

The backing plate is 1/2 inch steel. I used 3/4 inch threaded rod for the boltw, though smaller would work. don't remember without going to the farm and looking what the frame the jack rests on is made of. You will need either 1/2 x 13 grade 5 or harder bolts of 2 or 3 differetn lengths (4, 7 inch) to screw into the end of the crankshaft for the jack to push against. The shop that made mine said he would make the brackets for $35 plus shipping if anyone else wanted them.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:13 pm

I was just wondering how you put the pulley back on???
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:19 pm

Io - heat the pulley in a 250 degree oven for at least 30 minutes. Thread a 1/2 all thread rod into the end of the crankshaft. Place the heated pulley on the shaft,follow with a backer plate and then a draw-nut and pull it onto the crankshaft.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Wed Dec 15, 2004 10:52 pm

Thanks Bigdog. I knew there was a simple trick to it.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Return to “Farmall Cub”