This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

From the newest member...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

From the newest member...

Postby Cubnut » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:59 pm

I don't own a Cub and probably never will, but my Dad has a '75 that I maintain for him and I've been working on rebuilding my neighbor's '50 since early October '04. I'm definitely no expert, but I've learned a LOT about them during this project, and a bunch of it came from your posts in this forum. Thanks to all of you for pulling me out of some tight spots, even though you didn't know it!

Cubnut
These cubs never grow up

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:16 pm

Welcome Cubnut, don't be a stranger. We are all always ready to help out if we can.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Tue Dec 14, 2004 7:34 pm

Thanks, Bigdog! Much of the good info that I soaked up from this forum was posted by you.

My ongoing Cub project is nearing completion, and so far I've been into every single part except the hydraulic valve block. The tractor will be used as a working machine, not a showpiece, but it looks good anyway...everything has been stripped down to bare metal and painted after complete rebuild and repair. Modifications are few...just a conversion to 12 volts with an alternator and later I'd like to build a couple of implements for it (cheaper than buying them). I'll be keeping the forum posted and hopefully post a few pics for those who might be interested.

During this project, I kept daily updates on my floppy disk as a record of the work I've done on it. When I'm finished, I'll ask my neighbor for permission to share it with all of you if you'd like...it's quite interesting in some places and is guaranteed to bring back memories of some people's first Cub project. Someone also might see where I did something wrong and let me know about it before I lose an expensive part!
These cubs never grow up

Jack Donovan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jack Donovan » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:16 pm

:D Welcome, nice to here of progress that others learn off this wonderful board.and your comments and alike are what makes it so great" "Jack"

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:27 pm

"I don't own a Cub and probably never will.....I've been into every single part except the hydraulic valve block."

How do you do it :?:

I would go crazy if I didn't have at least one to work on and call my own. :roll:

Welcome to farmallcub.com :!:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Steve Butram
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 47906
eBay ID: steveb05
Tractors Owned: 1947 in well used condition
1948 restored
Nice original 1950 just out of the Demo Range
628 2 wheel Trailer
1950 Demo
Tryke
Rat Cub

Postby Steve Butram » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:48 pm

Bud, I would be willing to bet he will soon regret he made that statemant. I detect signs of denial. after all how can you work on them and not have to own one or two . Steve : :lol:
Be prepared to be unprepared Seth Goden

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:36 pm

Jeez...it didn't take you guys long to figure me out!
Okay, I'll admit it...I have my eye on Pop's '75 as soon as he gets tired of it. Trouble is that he's not getting tired of it!

These little things are addictive. About the only thing that would make me kick the habit is paying the parts bill. The owner of the '50 just had to buy both new tie rod tubes and the ball retainer plate on the main steering arm...$310.00 for three parts that don't total a full pound in weight. I feel like posting an armed guard outside my shop.
These cubs never grow up

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Tue Dec 14, 2004 9:48 pm

Cubnut shop here first. http://www.tmtractor.com/
Young man for work, old man for advice

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:14 pm

Thanks, Jim, but I did check with TM...they don't offer the tie rod tubes. Probably most of the ones they see are either bent or the ball is worn out. They do offer the main steering arm with bolts, a shim and a solid-gold retainer plate for $38.00, but that retainer plate seems to be a high-wear item and there's no way to measure the dimensions of the holes for ID or out-of-round from just the pictures. My neighbor thought about it and decided to get new parts and try to recover from the sticker shock later.
These cubs never grow up