This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub quits at operating Temp.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dan_c
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub quits at operating Temp.

Postby dan_c » Tue Dec 14, 2004 11:42 am

Can you guys help? My Cub starts to miss and stalls when it gets to full temp. I don't know if I'm over heating or some thing elese is going on. I have replaced the plugs, points, cap, rotor, coil, wires and condensor. Could the voltage regulator cause this? Could I have a cirulation problem causing the engine to over heat and stall? Let her cool down and she runs fine. Could my new coil have gone bad?

Thanks,

Dan

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Dec 14, 2004 12:57 pm

The coil was the most probable but I see that you changed it. Clean your low voltage connections to the coil, at the switch and at the starter. The condensor was the next probable cause, but I see that you changed that too. How about a loose connin the dist?
Can you crank it over when it stalls? If you can it probably isn't overheating.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Boy this a good one

Postby Eugene » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:05 pm

My initial thought is the same a Beaconlight. Get the tractor warm until it dies then check for spark. Check the voltage starting at the distributor and work back. The only thing other than what Beaconlight suggested is that you have a heat related open some place.

If you have spark and voltage at the distributor, check the fuel flow.

dan_c
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub Quits at operating temp

Postby dan_c » Tue Dec 14, 2004 3:58 pm

Thanks guys, I will follow your sugestions as soon as I find some time. I will let you know the out come.

Thanks,

Dan

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:13 pm

I agree that the coil would be the most likely culprit but since you have changed it, that would seem to rule it out. If you verify that you still have spark when it is hot we'll need to change how we think a little.
First of all, how is the oil pressure when it is running? If the oil pressure is good and stays good that helps some. You might want to check compression hot vs. cold and also look at valve clearances. The valves shouldn't keep you from running though. You could have a manifold warming up and either leaking at the gasket or it could be cracked and opening up. Just some things to think about if the obvious doesn't solve the problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue Dec 14, 2004 4:28 pm

BIG DOG you are good!!!!!

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:33 pm

Sounds suspiciously like a bad condensor to me more than anything else. They can cause a variety of wierd problems such as yours, and installing a new one is no guarantee that it is good...I've seen plenty of bad ones right out of the box on cars with breaker point ignition systems, although I don't know if this is common for Cubs.

Did your engine sit unused for a while before you ran it? Kind of an off-the-wall thought, but there's a tiny chance that it might be sticking valves. A friend of mine had a Ford flathead V8 that sat for 30 years under cover...he dusted it off one day, changed the oil and tried to start it, and it did the same thing as your Cub. Turned out that deposits in the guides had dried out, soaked up a little atmospheric moisture and swelled causing the valves to stick open slightly when it warmed up. Check your compression pressure when it quits again to eliminate this.
These cubs never grow up

dan_c
10+ Years
10+ Years

Cub Quits at operating temp.

Postby dan_c » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:16 pm

Thanks guys so much for all of your help. I am sorry that I'm so late in responding. I have been very busy.

It turns out that the neg. side terminal on the coil was loose. Tightened it up and I have had no further problems. Feeling stupid.

Anyway, I am so impressed with the little Cubs ability to plow snow. It far exceedes what I expected.

Dan

N.E. Ohio

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:23 pm

Glad we were able to help. Good thing it was one of the ones near the top of the list. Collectively we covered just about all the possibilities.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop