This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Whining Hydraulics...

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Whining Hydraulics...

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:46 am

Howdy folks! Over the weekend, some friends of mine helped put the finishing touches on my new car/truck/tractor shed at my new humble abode. :D :) 8) After they were finished putting the last nails into the tin roof, we then started moving stuff I had parked under a couple of tarps. Then came the move of my Cub. She started right up, and the belly mower came from the ground posiiton to the midway point according to the stop set on the touch control quadrant. I normally wear hearing protection when using the Cub, as the primary function right now is for mowing, and I'd like to keep from losing anymore of my hearing if possible. Because I wasn't wearing hearing protection, I was able to hear the whine of the hydraulics very well. I've used a Super A before, and I don't remember hearing such a loud whine before now. Because I haven't had a lot of time to play with the Cub, I'm wondering what I may need to check to avoid any problems in the future. If I'm low on hydraulic fluid, how do I go about refilling, and where is the location? I'm hoping that's all it may be, as it is starting to get cold in my area, and I don't have proper cover/heating/lighting to do much in the way of a teardown.

As always, thanks for the help! You gents are great.

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rick Prentice
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 43528
Tractors Owned: 47(circle cub),48(Floyd backhoe),49,,51,54 and another 55

Postby Rick Prentice » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:51 am

I'm not the one to give you a solution for your cub, but when it gets cold outside, that's when I start to whine. :D
When I told my dad I've been misplacing things and doing stupid stuff----His reply---"It only gets better"

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:03 am

The fill plug is also the full level. It's on the left side of the hydraulic block.

If it's low and gets low again really soon, keep an eye on the oil level in the crankcase. If the crankcase is getting fuller while the hydraulics gets emptier, the pump needs new seals. That's the most likely place for it to go when there isn't an obvious external leak.

Another reason for whine could be the filter screen within the hydraulic block is partly blocked with years of crud.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:25 am

Cub hydraulic systems have a certain distinctive normal whine. If you haven't noticed it with the ear protection on, there may not be a problem at all. If the level is up or stays up with no leaks or loss into the crankcase, it may just be one of the loud ones. I have had cubs with loud hydraulics and some with very quiet ones that all functioned properly.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

Thanks Carl

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:26 am

I'll take a gander at it this coming weekend when I have time and sunlight. I'll check the fluid level first. I remember a screen like you spoke of on the Super A. So, I'll see if I can find it on my Cub too. Much appreciated! Oh, BTW, if the fluid is low, how do you go about adding fluid? Do you use a teenitsy funnel?

Rick :?
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thansk Bigdog...

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:29 am

You must have posted while I was replying to Carl's. The hearing protection are ear muff style, and they do cut down on noise quite a bit. I will be checking things out, and let you guys know. I don't recall the oil level changing much at all. That's a good thing all the way around.

Rick

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:29 am

I think you have to tear down the touch control to get at the screen on a Cub, while the Super A's can be removed and cleaned by pulling 4 bolts and removing a cover...

Man, that really bites.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:48 pm

Matt is correct about the screen. If the whine is only present when the lift is moving, that's pretty much normal and nothing to worry aobut. If it's there all the time, get a touch control manual or go to the Blue Ribbon manual section of Ruci's server and go through the trouble shooting section. You will need a pressure gauge capable of reading at least 1200 pounds, and a pipe nipple for an extension. Pressure gauges are available for about $8 at most places that sell pressure washers. They will be a 3 or 4K pressure gauge, but will work for what you want.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:44 pm

Hi Sunday Sailor,

In reference to checking the Hyd fluid level:

Others have indicated where the filler/check level plug is.
Be sure that you first let the tractor warm up first and work the hyd up and down about 3-4 times and lower the hyd all the way down. Then remove the filler cap and check the level. It should be just below the bottom of the filler plug opening. I took a small [about 5-6 diameter] funnel and inserted the small end into a 8 inch long piece of 1/2 inch garden hose and taped them together [can use duct tape or electrical]. The hose should fit right into the filler opening.

I hope this helps some.

Also, if the whine persists after you have raised the hyd try lowering
just a little on the touch control lever and see if this stops it. If it does
stop the noise other adjustments are necessary. Try and then let us
know. We can go from there.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Thanks Gents...

Postby SundaySailor » Tue Dec 14, 2004 6:49 am

I will be checking things out this coming weekend. Since we no longer have any sunlight after working hours, (and it is cold outside now) - I want to dedicate the proper time to check it out. Interesting that the little blue book also covers the Super A and other similar tractors. Those Ag engineers really had this stuff down pat didn't they?

Rick

Return to “Farmall Cub”