This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

solution to hard starting - got spark and gas.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

solution to hard starting - got spark and gas.

Postby rick 48 cub » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:17 pm

Hi All

I would appreciate any advice that any of you experienced cub owners can share to help me overcome the hard starting problem.

I am a very new owner of a 1948, magneto charged, 6 volt, cub tractor. I get a good white spark, and there seems to be plenty of fuel. I keep installing new spark plugs (Champion D18Y) because they keep turning black.

I can only get it to start with EXTENDED cranking (with a 12 volt jump) with very little throttle. (Choke does not seem to matter)

Thanks
Rick 1948 cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:26 pm

A good healthy mag spark should jump 3/8 to 1/2 inch and be blue. Might als check carb to manifold gasket, and manifold to block gaskets.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:29 pm

Check and re-set (if necessary) the point gap and then set the timing according to the owner's manual. That should help some. Then consider re-building the carb and making sure the float level is correct. It sounds like it is too rich.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Hard starting

Postby Eugene » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:26 pm

Magneto. You should hear the impulse coupling snap when cranking the engine. Try cranking the engine by hand and listen for the click/snap.

The impulse coupling retards the spark during cranking (under 150 RPM)to TDC. Without the impulse coupling the magnito will fire in the full advanced position.

and ditto the previous posts.

Eugene

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:40 pm

White spark? should be blue.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:08 am

Once you have good spark and gas you need the spark at the right time. The spark should be when the piston just reaches the top (highest) point of it's travel. This is called "TOP DEAD CENTER (TDC) Once the engine is running some what faster than idle the spark is before TDC. With a magneto has an impulse coupling built into it. This accomplishes the above. When the spark is at TDC it is call retarded and causing the timeng to change before TDC is called advancing the spark. This change in the time the spark occurs is called timing the engine.
From far away it seems to me that you have probably have two problems. The first is the white spark (weak spark)and the other is that your carburator has a problem causing too much gas because of the black plugs you mention. I have this feeling about the gas because you don't mention the black as oiley.
Your level of knowledge of engines is the thing we need to know in order to best help you. It is possible to give so detailed an explaination as to insult your intelligance. And if your knowledge is not great it is possible to give not sufficiently detailed as to be of no help.
There is a manual on timing magnetos have you it and read it?
Let us know where to start and some one will respond withwhat will help you best .

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:51 am

Do not forget about the wires, make sure they are not resistor core. That is what was on mine wnen I bought it.

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:17 am

Make sure the choke rod at the dash is actually opening and closing the choke plate in the carburetor! The clamp on the choke shaft is prone to slipping.

rick 48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

original message

Postby rick 48 cub » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:23 pm

Thanks for the help - I think I am going to start with the Mag - it appears that my 1/8" white/weak spark may be the problem. Rick
Rick 1948 cub

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:26 pm

If that's all the spark you have, that is definitely a problem.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Return to “Farmall Cub”