This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Need a little help for a 48 cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
farmall48
10+ Years
10+ Years

Need a little help for a 48 cub

Postby farmall48 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:31 am

Hi! My Cub's battery won't hold a charge. The volts always stay at 0, even with a new battery so, where do I start? The lights burn strong but, not enough juice to turn her over. Generator? Any ideas are welcomed. Thanks.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Todd » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:58 am

first i would take a Volt meter and see how the Generator is charging. I dont kow much about 6 volt systems, however it needs to charge greater than 6 volts to charge the battery, if not it drains the battery
i have a few tractor pics on my site i should have started taking them before i took it apart

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Dec 11, 2004 10:59 am

Does it charge when the tractor is running? Will it start if you charge it with a battery charger then go down while setting? If so there is a good possiblity the relay in the cutout on top of the generator is sticking. It's supposed to close when the generator builds up voltage, and then release when it stops. if it stays closed the battery will discharge through the generator.

If it won't crank over good after charging with charger check both battery cables at both ends for good connections.

Not:e if the cut out is sticking closed you may have to disconnect a bettery cable to get the battery charged with a charger. The generator can pull more current than many home chargers will produce.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Dec 11, 2004 11:12 am

Go back to basics. Like John said, make sure both ends of both cables are clean. Also be sure to check the cables themselves. If you have those clamp-on replacement cable ends, remove them and clean and wire brush the cable ends themselves. Don't neglect the grounds. Then take some voltage readings. You say the headlights are bright so the battery must be up and the problem could be a defective starter switch or starter motor. Do the lights dim when you try to start the tractor? You can also carefully check for hot connections when trying to start the tractor which would indicate a high resistance connection.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:14 pm

When you clean the connections put some grease on them or one of the commercial products (like NO-OX) to prevent corrosion in the furure and the need to do it again. No comments about di electric grease please.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”