This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Rear Light Electical Wiring Question

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374
Circle of Safety: Y

Rear Light Electical Wiring Question

Postby farmallcub49 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:11 pm

I am in the process of re-wiring my 58 LoBoy. I am having troubles with the rear wiring harness. Currently I have two seperate wires going to the light switch. Each one mounts do a different tab. As it goes rearward those two wires tie into a junction block of some sort. From there one wire leads from this to nowhere. All of this is just hanging under the platform. I have a Grote taillight, which is just a red lense. Similar to a cadet taillight. One wire comes from the light. I am assuming that when the light is bolted to the light bracket it is grounded? I am wondering why there is two wires attached to the switch. Is this so it runs in both dim and bright? Any help will be appreciated.
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:46 pm

I'm not very familiar with wiring on later models, so if I'm wrong hopefully some of the others will correct me, but I think the second wire is for a rear work light that would have had it's own switch to turn it off when only the red light was wanted.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Dec 10, 2004 10:51 pm

I assume your serial number is over 10,000.

Never did anything with a tractor with just the taillight, but here is my best guess. One of the wires in the rear harness is probably a ground. If so, it should be pink. The little junction block should be attached to the taillight bracket. The wire from the block to nowhere might be the ground. If so, don't know where it connected, probably somewhere on the light housing. The taillight itself should have a pigtail that hooks to the junction block at the other wire. If no pigtail on the light, maybe your dangler is it and has come loose from the light.

The light probably only worked with one headlight position but could probably be hooked to both connections of the switch to work on both.

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby farmallcub49 » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:53 pm

Jim,

It is over 10,000.
I have a pink and a black that go to the light. I have a pink with a big loop that gounds to either bolt that holds down the dash. Then there is just a black that goes to the switch.

I should be able to jumper the switch tabs together!? Then what about the ground. do I even need the pink wire. Won't the light ground when I mount it to the bracket?

Thanks for the help so far. It always help to type out your problems and then rehash them in you head. The crud is starting to clear up and make sense. Clear as mud!
'49 Cub, '58 LoBoy,'61 LoBoy, '61 Modified LoBoy, '61 Customized LoBoy, way to many attachments, '22 Centerdoor Sedan, '24 Ford T Roadster, '25 Ford TT, '24 C Cab, '13 Touring, '24 Model T Snowmobile,

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Dec 10, 2004 11:58 pm

The light should ground through the bracket. IH started adding ground wires to the lights in the early '50s to improve the connection. I would connect it. If no lug on the light itself, I would pinch it somewhere into the connectin of the light housing and the bracket, maybe under a nut that holds the light.

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby farmallcub49 » Sat Dec 11, 2004 12:04 am

Thanks Jim,

Now my wheels are really smoking! If I wasn't so tired, I would go out and do it right now. Had to get up and move snow too early this morning. Worse part was that is was with a; I hate to swear; JD. It is the churches machine and not mine.

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:44 pm

Trying to go by memory, but the manual is out in the garage (and I am all done with the paint fumes for now).
My tail light has two bulbs and a ground, so 3 wires. One bulb is a small (~1156 I think) with a spot on the lense painted red. That is the running light and the other is a white work light. The ground goes to the bracket, if I recall correctly. It is in the same 'frame' as the headlights but has a 3 wire connector instead of 2. I was able to find the harness at a dealer in Maine, but it was his last one.

Let me know if you need more info.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:47 pm

Oh yeah, one more thing is that I believe the 'running light' is also connected to the one that goes on the fender. That one has a flasher too.
I really need to look at the whole thing again to tell you exactly how it is wired.
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Wed Dec 15, 2004 8:17 am

Buzzard Wing,
We're struggling with the same thing on my Dad's tractor. His rear light has the single (1156?) bulb and the seal beam that has a red backing. Plus the fender mount flasher. P.O. stripped all of that wiring off!! :x If you get it figured out...post what you find! :D

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Buzzard Wing » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:05 am

Send me a private message and I will send you some pictures of the whole rigging.
The hard part was finding the harness, but it is fairly simple once I got the owners manual that showed a decent wiring diagram.
I have gone and stipped and primed the dash, so I don't even remember what the foolish switch lable says.

Return to “Farmall Cub”